Comet, My 2 Yr Old Was Given Amoxicillin (biomox) Yesterday, And Today She Threw Up.

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She threw up a HUGE amount. My god, it was truly the biggest pile of vomit I've ever seen from a cat. The food was digested, there was no pieces of food seen. There was no blood either. The vomit looked "normal" if there can be such a thing.

Does that mean, generally, that she's going to throw up again from the Biomox? She had 2 doses yesterday and I just gave her another one a moment ago, after she threw up.

Should I give her yogurt?

The reason she's on Amoxicillin is she was diagnosed yesterday with skin allergies. She cut herself from scratching and developed an infection in the wound. This is a spot that Tail's, our 4 yr old Maincoon, constantly licks as he gives her baths a couple times a day. We've kept him from doing that since yesterday.

I've always thought of antibiotics as given diarrhea, not vomiting. I've owned cats all my life and I've never had one throw up from antibiotic.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that she is now taking Chlor Trimeton for her allergies. She hasn't scratched once since I gave her the 2mg yesterday. She looked really drugged up yesterday evening, like she was on Valium or something. She was perked up this morning though.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Certainly the Biomox can be the cause of the vomit. It's definitely one of the side effects of that drug. I don't honestly think Yogurt will help. It might help if diarrhea were the side effect, but don't think it will help with the vomiting. I would contact your Vet and let them know what is happening. They may want to have you give your little girl a different antibiotic, or possibly an anti-emetic. I know one of my cats could never have Clavamox because of how bad the side effect were with it. Anyway, I'd at least give them a call.

So glad the Chlor Trimeton seems to be working.

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cause of her vomiting was Chlor Trimeton. Vomiting from it is common. She hasn't thrown up again since my post. What I did was cut her dose in half and had her on that for a few days, and now she's on the full 2mg dose every day without any side effects.

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Losing my mind! lol Actually, I'm doing okay. But yesterday was a real doozy. Having 3 cats keep me very busy sometimes. Thank you for asking. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cause of her vomiting was Chlor Trimeton. Vomiting from it is common. She hasn't thrown up again since my post. What I did was cut her dose in half and had her on that for a few days, and now she's on the full 2mg dose every day without any side effects.
How interesting. I'm going to have to try to remember this for future use.