Come watch me while I eat!

teegs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat goes through stages of wanting someone to be with her while she eats. She will meow and call me to her food bowl and start eating while I stand there. If I walk away she stops eating; if I go back she will start eating again.

Wondered if this was a security thing? She is vulnerable whilst eating so wants someone to protect her? Or perhaps its a comfort thing?

Cat sitting for my sister's cat atm and she also does this more aften than not (she is an old cat). After every bite she pops her head up to check I'm still there then carries on.

Neither cat is particularly affectionate or demanding. Both like to be around people but are more people watchers than wanting a pat. The eating thing is not a problem by any means but just wondering what the deal is?

Thanks
T

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's a security/comfort thing. I think routine can come into it too in some cases. My girl often won't eat without me...and ideally I have to be sat in a certain chair before she'll settle and eat. If I've got food, she'll even wait for me to start eating before she eats too :lol3: :heart3:

I just see it as cute - definitely nothing to worry about :)

Last edited:

pompy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My old cat was like that too. He'd usually demand someone watch him while he ate...lol. If you left he's run back up and vocalize until someone followed him down to watch him eat agian.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Shadow used to only eat when I was in the room with her when she was younger and then she went through a phase where she wouldn't eat unless my other cats were eating too but she grew out of it.  I think it's more common in cats who are more needy and need the reassurance of you being there.

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many cats are social eaters--they like to have some company during dinner. :)