Combing a persian cat

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Garfy soooo cute!! My Oreo loves people too and curious about everything!!! He is good with eye cleaning, he normally just stand still close his eyes and let me clean his face, he is good with ears cleaning too. Just the sight of the comb and he starts biting and swatting at the comb... I guess i cant ask for everything to be perfect
Thank you!  Oreo is a cutey pie too!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oreo is a cutie.

He's testing you to see how far he can go. THe suggestions so far are good.

I have a Persian cross that I have had since she was 3.5 months old and she has been combed daily with a metal comb. She loves to be combed though she did go through the testy time.

Here's a picture of her. She's now 11 years old and a black smoke.

Lil'Jag

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my elfie has actually been doing better since I give her the treats afterwards only! if she gets really fussy and wants to go away, or tries to play with the brush, I just end the session without a treat. I think she gets the point because after I pull away she does look at me like 'eh, wheres my treat lady?' but that could just be my interpretation lol! either way, i've found that doing it after she eats has helped too. since cats always groom themselves after eating and stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When did she pass her testing time? I am hoping Oreo will soon give up the fight...

Oreo is a cutie.

He's testing you to see how far he can go. THe suggestions so far are good.

I have a Persian cross that I have had since she was 3.5 months old and she has been combed daily with a metal comb. She loves to be combed though she did go through the testy time.

Here's a picture of her. She's now 11 years old and a black smoke.

Lil'Jag

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah i never try brushing after he eats, good idea!!

my elfie has actually been doing better since I give her the treats afterwards only! if she gets really fussy and wants to go away, or tries to play with the brush, I just end the session without a treat. I think she gets the point because after I pull away she does look at me like 'eh, wheres my treat lady?' but that could just be my interpretation lol! either way, i've found that doing it after she eats has helped too. since cats always groom themselves after eating and stuff.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@KiKi82 - If I remember right she was testy up until around 3 years of age. SHe has always been a fiesty girl but has started to mellow out more as she gets older.

Each cat is different though. I have had 4 total long hairs (and 5 shorthairs), 3 of which LOVED being groomed at any age including their tummies and tails. Only LJ is a bit cranky but its just part of what makes her her.

So don't give up on your boy. Hopefully he will mellow out and the love and treats help you both. Take it a little at a time and be sure to watch his body language. Let him rub his chin against the brush and comb to put his scent on it. Some seem to love being groomed after eating, some when they are resting (but make sure they know you are there though - don't want to startle them.) and some like it when they are awake and come up to you for attention.