The stud is blue and white
The queen is blue

what colour will kittens please
The breeder says blue or lilac solid colour

is this correct

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have the pedigree for both cats going back several generations? Genetics can be complicated, but it helps if you know the history.

From a solid blue and a blue & white cat, solid blue or blue and white are both possible. Lilac is the dilute of chocolate. You can only get lilac or chocolate if both parents have that color in their background.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just guessing, here. It's been a long time since I studied this in college. I'm just trying to see how much I can remember.

My guess is that the kittens will be either solid blue or blue and white. It all depends on how the genetic dice land.
But those proverbial dice are loaded for blue or blue and white.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirandajanestevens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Then mum is blue, her mum Russian Blue and her grandparents. My queens dad was a lilac BSH. Her previous kittens were blue and lilac. The breeder definitely says the kittens will be solid blue or lilac and not blue/white like the stud

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
The breeder doesn’t know what they’re talking about. White spotting is a dominant gene and chocolate is recessive. Unless the BSH has chocolate in his ancestry and carries it, all kittens will be blue or blue and white. White doesn’t just magically not get passed on.

Is there a reason you’re breeding these moggies? BSH and RB aren’t conformationally compatible.

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens would be blue or blue and white. Mom isn't a purebred? Is there a reason your breeding her then?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What colour will my British shorthair kittens be
The stud is blue and white
The queen is blue

what colour will kittens please
The breeder says blue or lilac solid colour

is this correct

Try this calculator… I added in the info you gave with mom possibly carrying chocolate but dad not and dad at 50% white. It says this below. ps. Not knowing the full history and possible recessives makes it harder if the parents are not pb and without a history of generations.
Kittens will be shorthaired. Toms can be blue. Mollies can be blue. All kittens will be genetically solid, but red kittens will display mackerel tabby or classic tabby. All kittens will have under 50% white spotting.