Coloration Of My Jap Bobtail

Marc Martinez II

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey dudes, just recently got a Japanese Bobtail kitten named Jak from a breeder who's moving to Siamese cats. I just game Jak his 3rd booster, and will give him his final round plus his first rabies next month.

So I'm curious, while the breed confirmation mostly covets (for lack of better words) a white animal with van pattern, "japs" can come in all colors and patterns, and no two short and kinked tails are alike so long as they're no longer than 3 inches away from the body. And he has a super duper short bunny tail too! That said, I was wondering, is this snowshoe-ish(?) or bi-color pattern on Jak common? Your thoughts. Thanks!
20170606_183410.jpg
20170606_190538.jpg

-Marc

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking chocolate point and white. That's definitely not a common color for Japanese Bobtails, the most popular is the mi-ke (aka tricolor) or bicolors. Jak is super cute for sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marc Martinez II

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking chocolate point and white. That's definitely not a common color for Japanese Bobtails, the most popular is the mi-ke (aka tricolor) or bicolors. Jak is super cute for sure!
I live in San Antonio, Texas, so I think it's clear that the breed is fairly uncommon here. I'm convinced that his pattern is unique but not restricted to just him. After all, the older he grows, the most he stands out from other cats, pure or mixed. His hind legs are longer, his tail looks almost absent, and his head is forming a perfect triangle when looking at his face. I was actually just very curious about his pattern since jappies can come in all colors and bi-colors and various patterns as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He IS a bicolor, but with the point thrown in for good measure. Chocolate (or possibly seal) and white. The pattern type is common with the snowshoe-siamese.

Its no wonder the breeder switched to siameses - he was apparently on his way, having points look alikes of snowshoes... (patternwise, not tailwaise! :) )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marc Martinez II

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He IS a bicolor, but with the point thrown in for good measure. Chocolate (or possibly seal) and white. The pattern type is common with the snowshoe-siamese.

Its no wonder the breeder switched to siameses - he was apparently on his way, having points look alikes of snowshoes... (patternwise, not tailwaise! :) )
Thanks, that helps! After looking closely at Jak and at the comments, he may be a deliberate cross of Siamese mix, and the breeder may have lied to me about Jak being a jappy. In either case, I plan to do a breed DNA test next month to find out exactly what he is. If he turns out to be a Siamese mix, then I will still be happy with it. Either way, Jak is a cool looking kitty!