Color Genetics Question

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to plan ahead and decide carefully which one of my studs to breed with my new tortie point female, and I have a question. If I bred tortie point to a solid blue male (CPC) , would there be any chance of getting seal point or blue points or would all the female points likely be tortie like mom?

I know y'all have helped me out a lot in regards of genetics so I apologize for hounding you all once again :sorry:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless the male is a carrier of the point gene you will not get any pointed kittens. Pointed is recessive so the only way it can be expressed is if both parents carry the gene. There should be genetic testing or if you know his family line, which I would assume you do, he would need a pointed parent himself to ensure he is a carrier of the gene.

Two parents who are themselves pointed will only have pointed cats.

With one parent pointed and the other not it depends on if the other carries the gene. If the other does carry the gene, then each individual kitten has a 50% chance of being pointed. If the other does not carry the gene, none of the kittens will express the pointed gene however all kittens from a pointed and non-pointed pairing will carry the pointed gene and may themselves have pointed kittens or grandkittens as the gene gets passed down.

Since the gene is not always expressed you sometimes get the random pointed from two parents who both carry the pointed but don't themselves show the gene. But having a pointed kitten in a litter of two non-pointed cats does not mean that all the kittens will carry the gene.

Color point - dominant or recessive?

A blue bred with a tortoiseshell will result in black, blue, cream, tortoiseshell or blue cream. This site has a list of what mixes will give what colors https://kids.cfa.org/understanding-cat-colors.pdf. However, since the gene mix to get tortoiseshell includes a little of everything it is difficult to predict what mix of coloring the kittens will have when mom is tortie. You could get some Mom look-alikes or none at all. Basic Feline Genetics

Bottom line, if you want pointed kittens your best bet is to breed two pointed parents.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your solid blue (CPC) means he IS a known point carrier? Thus, half of the kittens should be points. And yes, chances is big someone will be seal, or possibly blue points. If the litter is big enough you will surely get at least some.

Of course, if you want to produce ONE future Ancestor for use in your breeding programme, one may be enough. Or if you have a good buyer for one.

Otherwise, just to agree with Kieka´s excellent answer.

I'm trying to plan ahead and decide carefully which one of my studs to breed with my new tortie point female, and I have a question. If I bred tortie point to a solid blue male (CPC) , would there be any chance of getting seal point or blue points or would all the female points likely be tortie like mom?

I know y'all have helped me out a lot in regards of genetics so I apologize for hounding you all once again :sorry: