Colony in jeopardy - is there a truly effective cat repellent?

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For almost 1 1/2 years now, I've been caring for a colony of 10 cats.   Both the cats and I have been extremely fortunate that they are located on private property whose owner has given permission for them to stay there.

The person living next to where the cats are located is complaining that the cats are using his yard "as a litterbox".  While I know that  at least 2 of the cats hop the fence that separates the properties, most are afraid to go anywhere near the house so I'm pretty sure the guy is exaggerating. He has a medium size dog, whose favorite pastime seems to be barking,  and four very noisy kids.  There's lots of action at the house with that many kids.  It's the last place my feral kitties want to go.  Heck, they still get spooked if I move too fast and they know me.

I've sent a list of humane cat repellents to this man - those recommended by Alley Cat Allies.  Do any of you have experience with repellents that really work?    I'm trying to find something both effective and fairly inexpensive, if there is such a thing.   

This guy calls himself "a big animal lover" but I fear that's not true, at least not where these cats are concerned.   But for now I'm trying to take the positive approach and hope this man only wants to keep the cats out of his yard, nothing more.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

are you able to modify the fence between the properties? 
Hi detmut -

Unfortunately, the property is very large so any modification to the fence would be extremely expensive.

There's no way I can physically keep the cats away from his yard, but if there were some sort of repellent in the areas they are (supposedly) using to poop in, they would hopefully be discouraged from going there.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard that the sonic cat repellents are very effective. And the other end of the scale, a free solution is to liberally scatter orange and lemon peel in the areas that you want to keep car free - cats generally hate the smell of citrus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Columbine and detmut - those suggestions were very helpful.  Easy and inexpensive.

I guess you would just cut the chicken wire to size, to fit the "affected" area, and bend the edges down so they would go into the dirt like little spikes.  Otherwise, it could be dangerous for the cats since the cut edges would be sharp.   You could spread a thin layer of soil over it so it wouldn't be unsightly.   That, in combination with the citrus peels could be an effective way to deter the cats.

Thanks, again!

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I manage a large Feral colony of about 40 cats in a huge open area around my house.

I have managed it for over 16 years.

My next door neighbor is totally nuts!!  She NEVER goes outside, NEVER. She enters her car from the house into her garage. She has an automatic door opener so she doesn't have to touch the outside with her precious feet! I do not have the time to tell you all she has done to harass me over the years because she says she is allergic to my cats. (Her feet not touching the ground syndrome began when she first moved here. I keep wanting to tell her if she wouldn't stick her head out the window and breathe in the outside air, her allergies wouldn't be triggered!!) 

I have found the most effective deterrent is water. There is an automatic sprayer that can be attached to a hose so when a cat walks in front of it they get sprayed. It is super effective, if the sprayer gets moved since the cats eventually stay away from where the water is suddenly spraying. But, my neighbor stopped using it (even though I paid for one). Some people are just happy being unhappy and having something to complain about.

If your guy doesn't like, or wouldn't buy one of the sprayers (can be purchased at Amazon) maybe he could get his kids to simply turn the hose on the cats every time one goes in his backyard. The cats hate it, it doesn't hurt them, and better than the guy hurting the cats in some way.

But, I am with you, it doesn't sound to me as if his backyard is anyplace a feral cat would want to go! I think you have a complainer on your hands.

One other thing I did was to call Animal Control, and the Humane Society and SPCA that are local to explain the situation. All agencies took reports and told me it sounded as if I had done more than anyone could expect to pacify my nutcase.
You might want to do that too.

You have my sympathy!