Collars with bells and lazer games - are they good for cats?

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apologies for the 'two-in-one" question...!

I am adopting an outdoor cat who is still going to spend the majority of his time outdoors. I have had him microchipped, but some of the neighbours have told me it's a good idea to get him a collar to visibly show that he is 'owned', otherwise he might be taken.

He is being introduced to our other indoor cat, who is older and blind. She is quite feisty and can get quite stressed. He, on the other hand, is a sprightly but very calm and gentle 1-year-old. One of the forum members very helpfully suggested adding a bell to the collar so the blind one knows where he is and when he is coming close. This might make her less stressed during the transition period. But is putting a collar and bell on a cat the right (even humane) thing to do? Does it not drive that cat crazy?

Also, I went to buy a lazer game from a pet shop - one where they cat chases a lazer dot around the room. The assistant said they did not stock them, suggesting it might be a cruel game for cats. I was surprised: has anybody else heard this?

Thanks

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To minimize any laser frustration, I cut up Greenies into ~7 pieces each and toss a little piece to my cat anytime it catches the dot. Accordingly, I control the laser pointer myself and keep my pointer finger about 1/2" past the front of the laser pointer, parallel with it, so she isn't able to look directly at the laser source.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To minimize any laser frustration, I cut up Greenies into ~7 pieces each and toss a little piece to my cat anytime it catches the dot. Accordingly, I control the laser pointer myself and keep my pointer finger about 1/2" past the front of the laser pointer, parallel with it, so she isn't able to look directly at the laser source.
Sounds like a good way to minimize complaints people have about laser pointers--that the cat can't catch the prey. That's the reason I've never tried using my laser pointer on my cats.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted an outdoor stray and she was super energetic. We would play a lot with her with wand toys (Da Bird is worth every cent, best toy out there for our cats).

Sometimes we just needed to run her ragged so we brought out the laser pointer. I would hide treats around the room and have her chase the laser pointer to one of the spots. She didn’t seem frustrated and got a little snack. I think it’s fine in small doses and with added treats or toys to give them that satisfying catch.

I don’t really recommend the mechanical ones, they are randomized but I’ve found our cats more often stared right at the dot and didn’t play well with them. Any cheap laser pointer you control would be better.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what I’ve seen, the bells on cat collars are very small and I’ve seen people use them on their outdoor kitties to warn birds of their presence and there does not seem to be any outward signs of stress by the cat. When you put it on him, if you do, always do it under supervision for a while to make sure that he’s OK with it. (And be sure it is a breakaway collard Once they get used to each other and your other kitty gets used to his presence and smell and everything, you may be able to take the bell off as she become aware of him and will have her other senses already queued up to his presence.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as the bells go, my cats all stay indoors, but two of them have collars with bells. The third did, but she kept getting out of the collar and was playing with it. She also steals the collars off the two boys' necks and plays with them. The noise doesn't seem to bother them and it helps me to at least keep track of the two.

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My opinion...
Show the collar, but make sure it doesn't have tags or a bell. Bell collars and tags are annoying and will scare away her prey with all the jingling. You can drill in a nameplate instead.

There are so many stray cats around where I live, and several years ago I took one that technically already had someone taking care of her. It's less confusing if you make it obvious someone owns her. Even though in my case they did not claim her back (because they were taking care of these cats against their wishes after accidentally letting their own cat get pregnant and give birth to them) it's better to be safe.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to play with my cats with a lazer light. It helps them wear out at night and then they sleep all night. My bubbles is a semi lazy cat and sleeps most of the night when she’s inside

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Noka doesn't mind her collar and it only has her tag on it. Shade hates collars and will peel his off as soon as he can. He learned that he can use his back paw to stretch the breakaway collar enough to slide over his head without breaking it.

Every kat is different so just try the collar under supervision so if they don't like it, you can take it off them.

Shade ignores the laser but Noka loves chasing the dot just because she can. She doesn't get frustrated about nothing to catch but does get bored if the dot does not go some place interesting or different such as up the side of their tree or on the top of the couch back.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie figured out I control the laser pointer& he can’t really catch it. So I just don’t use the laser pointer 🤷🏻‍♀️ I might try that treat finding or treat tossing idea with the laser pointer on a rainy day. He loves his cat dancer & Japanese dragon fly cat toy way more then he ever liked the red dot. Oh & he goes crazy for flies & moths that wander inside my apartment.... I have to kill them before I go to sleep or he will make a ruckus trying to get them all night long (& climb on my head/face in his eagerness to get them.)

Is your blind kitty completely blind? If not she might enjoy the balls that light up when the cat bats at them. Also she might appreciate some bells on her toys so she can hunt by sound, or those chirping cat toys.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista loved the laser pointer right up to her last days. Even when she wasn't feeling very well, she would still pancake her body, saucer her eyes, and think about hunting the dot. I wouldn't purchase any automatic laser toys. The lasers aren't strong enough to do any damage to their eyes. But the automatic chase patterns would be annoying and frustrating to the cat. But if you wanted to control the laser yourself, it could be fun for the both of you. But more interactive toys like wands would satisfy a cat's desire to actually catch and bite their prey like a laser cannot do. She loved "Da Bird"! (feather on a wand that you can flap like a bird's wings.) So much so, I had to keep it in a closet when we weren't playing with it. She was a smart kitty and knew which closet it was kept in. She would sit patiently in front of the closet door when she wanted to play. 😻 I would never get that from the laser.

Your blind kitty doesn't need a bell on the other cat. She'll know by sound and scent when he's near. Just like blind people, her other senses are enhanced to make up for the loss of sight.

I do recommend a collar though. I was feeding what I thought was a stray for a couple of weeks. I finally trapped the guy and had a rescue scan him for a chip. Turns out he wasn't a stray after all. I was overfeeding my neighbor's cat. 🤦‍♂️ He was coming by my porch three times a day for extra meals. 😹🐷

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jackie figured out I control the laser pointer& he can’t really catch it. So I just don’t use the laser pointer 🤷🏻‍♀️ I might try that treat finding or treat tossing idea with the laser pointer on a rainy day. He loves his cat dancer & Japanese dragon fly cat toy way more then he ever liked the red dot. Oh & he goes crazy for flies & moths that wander inside my apartment.... I have to kill them before I go to sleep or he will make a ruckus trying to get them all night long (& climb on my head/face in his eagerness to get them.)

Is your blind kitty completely blind? If not she might enjoy the balls that light up when the cat bats at them. Also she might appreciate some bells on her toys so she can hunt by sound or those chirping cat toys.
Thanks. She is about 95% blind...so can't really catch/see things that light up. Sounds are good though. Please tell me more about 'cat dancer' and 'Japanese dragon fly'...are these brand names?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She is about 95% blind...so can't really catch/see things that light up. Sounds are good though. Please tell me more about 'cat dancer' and 'Japanese dragon fly'...are these brand names?
Not sure about Japanese dragon fly. But Cat Dancer was another toy Krista loved! It’s a couple of cardboard pieces on a wire. I threaded it through the handle of a storage bin taping its base to the inside of the bin. This allowed her to bat the heck out of it several times a day.👍😻

Amazon.com : CAT DANCER Deluxe 252 Cat Toy : Pet Supplies

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could try a ping pong ball in the bathtub if your kitty will go there. The ball makes an enticing sound and it can't get away from her (unless she knocks it out of the tub). It's certainly cheap enough.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if she will like the dragon fly toy but your other cat will. The wings do make a crinkle noise if you jiggle it right. If you go on amazon & search for “Petz route long stick play with a kitten” you will find it. Someone else on a cat FB group said their cat adored it; so I ordered one. Turns out, Jackie loves it! (As do his sister & brother!)

The reason I mentioned balls that light up, is in case she has some vision. You could roll it away from her. It is worth 5$ to try it IMO 🤷🏻‍♀️ If you go on Chewy and search for “Petlinks flash dance” you will find the touch activated ball. Regular cats like it to.

I would try a noisy wand toy under a blanket or tissue paper.

You might want to buy one hexabug cat toy (the cheaper kind that looks like a computer chip insect with a tail) since they vibrate as they move, they make noise. So if she likes it, she will have a toy that moves on it’s own. I’m not sure if it would work or not. If not it is under $10 & your other cat will love it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could try a ping pong ball in the bathtub if your kitty will go there. The ball makes an enticing sound and it can't get away from her (unless she knocks it out of the tub). It's certainly cheap enough.
Greg loves that game. I call it "pong tub"...lol.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This blog talks about some toys for blind cats. Interesting read and it has suggestions similar to what has been mentioned here.

This is a page of toys for blind cats: Blind Cat Rescue