Collars for outside cats- Pros & Cons

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Absolutely! There have been multiple occasions where I have picked up an injured cat that neither had a collar nor was microchipped. Most of the time I strongly believe the cats had owners. Often times I am unable to locate owners, despite a hardy search for one.

I actually have the body of a cat that died after being hit by a car on hold at my vet as I am desperate to find an owner if there is one. (Thankful I wasn't the one that hit him!) He had no collar and no microchip.

Also, I like knowing where cats in my neighborhood belong, especially in the event something happens to said cat. Great if the cat is microchipped; but, not helpful in just identifying where they live. I really don't want to pick up every cat and take them to the vet just to know who the owner is.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My cats all wear collars with tags and are microchipped, too--for exactly the reasons @CatPack  mentions.  It tells people they are owned and would make it easier to identify them if something should happen to them.  
I want my feral to have a collar so no one will trap him. But Im wondering if collars can get stuck in bushes sometimes?
We use breakaway collars.  

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I
I want my feral to have a collar so no one will trap him. But Im wondering if collars can get stuck in bushes sometimes?
I used Breakaway collars as well, though some are easier to get out of than others.

I have a kitten (well, he's almost a yr old) that recently sustained a mouth injury while wearing a breakaway collar. I fit his snugly (allowed 1 finger in) to his neck; but he still managed to get it stuck in his mouth. =(
But, the collar he was wearing wasn't as easily to break apart. He had worn other breakaways without incident.

Right now I am trying out Beastie Bands and so far I like them. They stay on better and are easier to get out of, should they get snagged. The above mentioned kitten will only be wearing Beastie Bands from now on. My only complaint so far would be that the edges of the collars fray a little more quickly than others I have bought. Though, they seem to hold up better overall. My cats are rough on their collars!...most don't last more than 3 months.

**Just a note**
All of my kitties are indoor only, so the wear and tear I experience may be different than those with outdoor kitties.