Collar With Bell On Indoor Cat?

Yvonne_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've put a collar on my kitten a number of times, giving in and taking it off after 20 minutes or so because he's so annoyed by it. He isn't allowed to go outside to catch birds or anything, so I know the bell isn't necessary, but since he's so active and adventurous, I like to know where he is at all time by listening to the bell. I feel worried when he isn't wearing his collar and I've done whole house searches to find him in some box or in a cupboard. I'm also ordering an id tag to put on his collar in case he gets out and is lost. He is microchipped but I don't trust that whoever finds him will know to take him to a vet. I've read that collars aren't good for indoor cats though. Should I keep the collar or scrap it altogether?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep it. The ID tag is a nice touch too.

I don't think my cat was used to collars either when I first adopted him. The collar with bells have been so useful for me since cats are so silent and sneaky. For the first couple of days, my cat would try to gnaw it off or scratch it off leading to a very fuzzy collar. But I left it as is 'cause it was cheap anyway. One year later, I got him a better quality collar with a bell. He didn't even gnaw it or scratch at it or anything because he's used to the feeling.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have breakaway collars on my indoor cats, both with bells and a tag. The tag is embossed with name and my phone number on the collar part, rather than a dangling metal tag, so that it doesn't bother them or clang too loudly against the bell. I think the breakaway collars are better from a safety perspective so that if doesn't get caught on anything and choke or trap them. And I like the bell so I can find them easily, too.

As for it bugging your cat, I think he will get used to it. If you think it's best for his safety, it's worth it anyway. I think you're right that most people will just look for a collar to contact the owner rather than make a trip to the vet to get the microchip scanned. They may even assume the cat is a stray if he doesn't have a collar, and attempt to adopt him. The microchip does help if your pet is surrendered to a shelter, or encounters police or animal control. It also helps if someone tried to adopt your cat and then takes him to the vet. You can even get a tag with the microchip number so that anyone who encounters your cat outside will automatically know he's chipped.

I have a really funny couple of videos of my smaller kitten the first time I put a collar on her. She was annoyed for about a day, then totally got over it. But I found that leaving it on the whole time made her ignore it more quickly than taking it on and off.

I bought my collars here on Etsy.
Handcrafted Animal Friendly Cat Collar & Dog Collar by Chockypetshop

They're very nice, inexpensive, and durable, but it takes a little longer for shopping since they're handmade. They are very cute, though!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you're going to use a collar I would leave it on all the time, as suggested above. I don't know how much use the bell will be in keeping track of your kitty. One of mine could run full speed through the house without the bell making a sound, and she didn't have hold of it in her mouth.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you're going to use a collar I would leave it on all the time, as suggested above. I don't know how much use the bell will be in keeping track of your kitty. One of mine could run full speed through the house without the bell making a sound, and she didn't have hold of it in her mouth.
I've heard of that! Someone told me cats eventually gain the ability to move around without ringing the bell if they so choose, especially when stalking something. Mine haven't figured it out so far, but they may eventually. They're still young! ;)

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer Yeah, breakaway collars are a must! And thanks for the link. I just bought a collar for my cat but having my number and his name on the collar would definitely be a good option.
Yeah I thought the name / number is still the first thing the average person will look for, especially if they don't have pets or know about microchipping, or if they don't want to take the pet somewhere to be scanned. My 10 year old husky got out a few times as a pup, and every time, someone called me from his tag. I keep his microchip info up to date, but I've never actually used it.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I thought the name / number is still the first thing the average person will look for, especially if they don't have pets or know about microchipping, or if they don't want to take the pet somewhere to be scanned. My 10 year old husky got out a few times as a pup, and every time, someone called me from his tag. I keep his microchip info up to date, but I've never actually used it.
Yeah that's definitely the first reaction of any good samaritans. It's happened to me twice in my lifetime, and I've always called because of the ID tag that's attached to the collar.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my boys hated his belled breakaway collar at first, even more so once I put a metal ID tag with my name/address/phone number on it. But he got used to it. The second cat had a few objections, but not many, and now they both wear them happily and I can hear where they are in the apartment by the bell sounds.

It also gives me comfort since one door in my apartment leads straight outside, so if either of them ever ran out (since they are complete door dashers) someone might find them and know to contact me. So my opinion is that you should keep on trying with the collar on your cat. If they ever get away, it will definitely pay off in the long run.