Collar Stuck

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, fellow cat parents,

My cat gave birth around 9 months ago and had 5 kittens. During this time, I lost my apartment and moved in with my dad. My dad has allergies so I have to keep them in a single room. Once the kittens were old enough, I wanted to give some away but I was unable to find good homes for them so I decided to keep them. I did a collar check once a month until I could tell them apart. As I was decollaring them, I noticed one cat, Midnight, the collar was tight. I have attempted to remove it but I am unable to do so because he attacks me.

One thing I want to mention is that I was not around during their younger time because I took on more hours to make ends meet. I am able to play with them and rub them, but their sensitive areas are a no-no. The worse thing is that the collar is in a no-no spot. They had buckle collars, and the buckle clamp repositioned itself under his neck. I don't want to try to keep trying to remove the buckle (4 times) because it is breaking the trust I worked hard to build up. I am unsure on what to do. Any advice or services I could call would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
I have tried using lickables to lurk him in a carrier so I can take him to the vet, but that was unsuccessful.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two person job -- grab him by the scruff and press down on the hind quarters while the other helper cuts it off. Or might be easier/safter to use a towel on all except the head, second person does the collar. Either way since your not an experienced grabber, there are possibilities for problems, so its not a terrible idea to just use the towel to put him in a top entry carrier and take to the vet. Even experienced cat wranglers can have trouble.

But as you've clearly figured out, this needs to be dealt with now as an overly tight collar will cause problems. Nor are cats done growing at 9 months, so this could get much worse fast. There might already be a pressure ulcer under there.

If your feeling ovewhelmed and not capable, look for a home vet. Honestly, they tend to charge about the same because they have less overhead. Its often a great deal unless you need higher level care. IF there is one in your area. I think there is a decent chance your going to need the vet anyway as there may be a pressure wound to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two person job -- grab him by the scruff and press down on the hind quarters while the other helper cuts it off. Or might be easier/safter to use a towel on all except the head, second person does the collar. Either way since your not an experienced grabber, there are possibilities for problems, so its not a terrible idea to just use the towel to put him in a top entry carrier and take to the vet. Even experienced cat wranglers can have trouble.

But as you've clearly figured out, this needs to be dealt with now as an overly tight collar will cause problems. Nor are cats done growing at 9 months, so this could get much worse fast. There might already be a pressure ulcer under there.

If your feeling ovewhelmed and not capable, look for a home vet. Honestly, they tend to charge about the same because they have less overhead. Its often a great deal unless you need higher level care. IF there is one in your area. I think there is a decent chance your going to need the vet anyway as there may be a pressure wound to deal with.
Thank you so much. Unfortunately I don't have a second person willing to help. I will look for a home vet for assistance. I'm panicking a little because like I mentioned I took on long hours so I don't want anything to happen while I'm gone. I'll update if I have more problems.