Collar of shame

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took in a stray cat about 6 weeks ago, she was unwell when she finally let me catch her, she couldn't walk properly. I took her to the vet, turns out it wasn't her leg, it was abdo pain and some sort of infection. Any way after antibiotics and pain killers she has been fine. She then started behaving like she was in season so I took her to be spayed and also for a dental exam under GA.

I feel terrible as she had already been spayed, the vet phoned mid op to tell me! He told me that she was prob displaying symptoms of being in heat as they last vet may have left parts of her reproductive bits inside, he was unable to find them though! And has suggested some sort of progesterone therapy. I was wondering what others thought about this?

My second question is, they gave her a collar to wear (this plastic flowerpot type thing) she seemed very uncomfortable so I bought her a buster inflatable collar, she can get to her food better in this but I'm not sure she is as comfortable sleeping. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Feel like a bad kitty mum. P.S she also had 2 teeth removed and an ear canal washout.

Thank you

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took in a stray cat about 6 weeks ago, she was unwell when she finally let me catch her, she couldn't walk properly. I took her to the vet, turns out it wasn't her leg, it was abdo pain and some sort of infection. Any way after antibiotics and pain killers she has been fine. She then started behaving like she was in season so I took her to be spayed and also for a dental exam under GA.

I feel terrible as she had already been spayed, the vet phoned mid op to tell me! He told me that she was prob displaying symptoms of being in heat as they last vet may have left parts of her reproductive bits inside, he was unable to find them though! And has suggested some sort of progesterone therapy. I was wondering what others thought about this?

My second question is, they gave her a collar to wear (this plastic flowerpot type thing) she seemed very uncomfortable so I bought her a buster inflatable collar, she can get to her food better in this but I'm not sure she is as comfortable sleeping. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Feel like a bad kitty mum. P.S she also had 2 teeth removed and an ear canal washout.

Thank you
Poor girl! She's had a rough go. It's wonderful that you took her in. She'll be feeling better soon hopefully.

I wouldn't worry about her being uncomfortable with the e collar. It's to keep her from ripping out her stitches. I've never heard of the inflatable kind before, but it has to be more comfortable. You can take it off if you are constantly watching her, and if you feel you can get it back on.

As far as the vet opening her up again, what country are you in? Here in the states most vets tattoo (with green ink) the spay scar once it's closed. That way situations like this don't arise. Poor girl.

I have had a false pregnancy situation with my girl Oksana after she was spayed. I haven't ever heard of a false heat, but I guess it's theoretically possible.

With Oksana's false pregnancy they left some reproductive material in her. I guess pieces of her ovaries, idk... She nested and even had swollen nipples. It was weird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you for your reply

We are in the UK.

The vet did say that she could have a false pregnancy too, did Oksana seem uncomfortable when this was happening?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you for your reply

We are in the UK.

The vet did say that she could have a false pregnancy too, did Oksana seem uncomfortable when this was happening?
Yes, it was like she didn't know what to do with herself. Her belly was swollen, and on several occasions I remember thinking "This cat is Pregnant"... Then I remembered she'd just been spayed.

It was a confusing time for me too:confused:

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They make soft cones called "comfy cones," I believe. They gave one to my cat when he was neutered so he could sleep better and it made a difference.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will look for a comfy cone, she's deaf though, that's why I wanted an alternative to the cone shaped thing as I thought it might be restricting her vision, being deaf and having poor vision would be rough!

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Six of one half a dozen of the other then. The plastic cones are clear but make sleeping uncomfortable, the comfy cones are opaque but she can sleep any way she pleases. Maybe alternating the two?

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do think about the progesterone therapy? Should I consider this or just leave her as she is?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do think about the progesterone therapy? Should I consider this or just leave her as she is?

I'd let her be. It will work itself out. I think what my vet said is they most likely left part of one of the "nodes" of her ovaries in place. I was told this tissue will die eventually. She no longer has her uterus, so a piece of an ovary (while still partially fertile) cannot sustain conception.

With Oksana she only had the one false pregnancy and it was over. It did stretch out the skin from her belly, so now she looks like she had a litter, but otherwise no further problems.

I'd wait and see how she does.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you,

Yes I think I will leave her be, she's been through enough, bless her!