Collar irritation

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Twinkie was sitting on my lap today and I noticed her neck looked red, I took off her collar and it looks like possibly a bite. The fur is flat in the spot. Which is weird since it was so loose. The irritation is on the side that she lays on all the time.
I took the collar off, and I won't put it back on, but I'm worried about the spot. Should I wash it with something ? Leave it? Take her to the vet? She is not in pain, I'm most worried that our other cat will wrestle with her and bite it again.
I tried getting a pic but she won't sit still for me

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, a pic might be helpful. But when you said 'bite' I thought you meant a bug bite - are you saying it looks more like an animal bite? Is there something inside that section of the collar that could have pinched her skin? Is there any skin/wound opening?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when I was looking in the shelters for a cat I happened to go to pet a cat and she nipped me . Upon closer inspection I saw that her collar just made a bald ring around her neck..looked completely clean to the skin like alopecia. Her owner never took off the collar to let that area breath and the follicles just died! Take off the collar for a while ..especially if it is a house cat..and let the area get some air.
It would be like you or me wearing a hot wig 24/7. Eventually the follicles will die.
There are several articles on the web about this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try to get a picture. I was at work all day my husband said she did not act like it bothered her. There is no blood on her fur, I would be able to see it she is white. Something on her collar must have bothered her , it was so loose. I thought maybe when playing with our other cat (also 1) maybe bit her on the neck, I can't remember when I out this on her maybe a few weeks ago. I won't be putting anything back on her.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like more than collar irritation to me. If it were my cat I would take her to the vet for antibiotics or something. I am no expert, but looking at it, if it were on my self or my cat I would have it treated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, it looks like more than just collar irritation. I suppose it could be your cat is allergic to the collar material which ended up producing a sore. But, regardless, it also looks to me like it needs treated.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately, these are the best I could get for pics.
I would speak to the vet as well. It doesn't look like collar irritation.

When a collar irritated Nobel, it looked like I had shaved his fur. I took it off and the fur grew quickly. He never had this with any other collar.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like a puncture wound. Can’t tell for sure because it’s a picture. Beautiful cat. Definitely needs to see a vet. Cats can get abscesses quickly if a puncture wound isn’t treated.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I talked to the vet office the other day. they didn't have any appt for this weekend, but they had me send a photo said to put hydrocortisone on it and call if it gets worse. Well its worse, she has lost more hair and of course I'm trolling the internet, everything is pointing to ring worm. I really hope I am over reacting. They are open Sundays I hope the can squeeze me in. Is there a way of treating if we can't see the vet for a few days. I don't have another day off until Friday. I do have the vet in town that I can see but they never have appt either.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is an odd place for ringworm. It’s possible, but doubtful. Stop using the cortisone cream and see if it improves. Can you post another pic?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think it is ringworm, and based on the vet's recommendation, they apparently don't think so either.

As an interim attempt to help, try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that place with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for her to ingest should she do so.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is an odd place for ringworm. It’s possible, but doubtful. Stop using the cortisone cream and see if it improves. Can you post another pic?
I got a pet cortisone spray , should I get a cream for people Instead? This poor cat has been through so much I would hate to see her get sick again. Thinking what has been new , I did start a new probiotic, she got new collars . Thats it really. Both cats are indoor only. No other pets.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn’t use a cortisone anything on that. You could try a warm compress by taking a wash cloth with very warm water and hosing it against the wound. Is any of that area raised?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got a pet cortisone spray , should I get a cream for people Instead? This poor cat has been through so much I would hate to see her get sick again. Thinking what has been new , I did start a new probiotic, she got new collars . Thats it really. Both cats are indoor only. No other pets.
I don't think it is ringworm, and based on the vet's recommendation, they apparently don't think so either.

As an interim attempt to help, try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that place with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for her to ingest should she do so.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would not put anything topical on it at all. You also have to be careful using cortisone cream on cats as they can absorb enough through the skin to affect them. Just wait until your vet appointment. It would be nice if you could prevent scratching with an e collar but of course an e collar will just rub on it and irritate it more.

It is getting larger, but this could be due to the spray, scratching, allergies, or even an absess will cause hair loss.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Twinkies vet appt was today. He said it was not ring worm or fleas . He said it was (some long name) that basically boiled down to stress grooming. She has been over grooming one of her legs now. The fur on her neck is growing back. How do I help her? He gave her a shot of steroid but there has to be something I can do.
I asked her what was stressing her put but she didn't answer me lol 😂