Cold laser therapy for neuter?

Voidcat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey I'm taking my kittens tomorrow to get neutered and one of the things that was offered to me was cold laser therapy for an additional fee. I called and asked the receptionist and she said oh yes it will help with pain, swelling and healing and is a good alternative to the aftercare pain meds but its optional(idk if that means no pain meds at all or just take home meds). On one hand I am open to new methods but on the other I wasnt sure if this is often used for neuters now. Internet says its definitely beneficial for arthritis, big surgeries, skin issues etc but that it can take a while and multiple sessions to see benefits? Anyone familiar with CLT?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
One off session does nothing of significance, to my knowledge. Just the vet trying to make a quick buck, imo.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our feline vet recommended it for our senior cat's arthritis issues. I'm only familiar with it for that type of health problem. Honestly I've never heard of it for a post-neuter procedure and none of my vets have ever suggested it for that purpose. Do what you feel is the most comfortable for your kitten and you. You may also want to consult with another vet to put your mind at ease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Voidcat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input guys! Its an add on check option to their general surgical forms but doesnt have details and I only was able to ask the receptionist. I think we will skip that as I cant really see how it would make a huge difference here. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt skipping a new thing that is recommended now or something but I cant find any info on it being used routinely for neuters either.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A number of vets who are on Animal Planet and Nat Geo use the laser after absolutely every surgical procedure. That includes the minor ones where there will be no laser follow-up. Personally, I think it has become trendy and is a quick buck for the vet.

One of my GSDs had laser therapy on his foot (not going into the story here), but it took a number of treatments to get where we were going with it. None of my vets use it routinely as you are describing.