Cold Canned Food?

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. My cat LOVES to eat cold canned food, is there any harm in giving her cold food? (she has some health issues) She prefers it much more and eats more of it when it's cold rather than warm.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of mine actually prefers it on the cooler side too. I see no reason why not to give them what they want.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby eats it either way. I only give her 1/3 of a can at a time, and the rest is put in the refrigerator. Not actually even thinking about it, on the other 2/3 of the can, I feed it to her cold. Been doing this for some time now. She's all good with it!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BTW - if your cat is a grazer like mine, the cold food is actually better because it can be left out longer. Feeby loves the canned food, but takes FOREVER to eat just 1/3 of can. So, while I still scoop it up multiple times to get her to come back and eat more, we are still talking 2-3 hours at worse.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cold food is better than microwaved food. If you do need to heat it up, put the portion into a baggie, seal it up, and run it under warm water. Just a bit cooler than how you like your bath water is body temp.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 - I have been heating up our kitten's food in the microwave because he seems to not know what to do with refrigerated food. If it's a new can, I can give it to him at room temp and he scarfs it down. Once it's been opened...I suppose he can't smell it properly or it is simply less appealing to him. I heat up a small amount for literally 4 to 5 seconds, just to take the chill off. I'm hoping as he gets older he will care less, as my other two cats will eat whatever is put in front of them, cold or not.

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually give my cat, Mochi, some canned food mushed up with some warm water. When I gave Mochi some cold canned food, he had diarrhea and kept on sneezing. How old is your cat? If she is an adult cat (about 6 months old), I'm sure she will be fine after eating cold canned food. Mochi probably got sick only because he is a very young cat and his immune system is not the strongest.
Best of wishes, Jenn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually give my cat, Mochi, some canned food mushed up with some warm water. When I gave Mochi some cold canned food, he had diarrhea and kept on sneezing. How old is your cat? If she is an adult cat (about 6 months old), I'm sure she will be fine after eating cold canned food. Mochi probably got sick only because he is a very young cat and his immune system is not the strongest.
Best of wishes, Jenn
My cat is about 16/17 years old. She hates it whenever I heat up the food.. I don't believe she has ever gotten sick when I gave her cold food. She does have pancreatitis and anemia though. I hope its still fine to give her cold food and that i am not making things worse for her in any way. I am just trying to get her to eat as much canned food as she wants it's been really hard because she usually just takes a few licks and then she's done. When it's cold she will eat a little bit more of it but truthfully it's been a struggle to even get her to eat one full 3oz can of wet food in a day. She is very thin so I have to give her some dry as well but can't seem to find a good dry food that she will eat enthusiastically

Does anyone have any good dry food recommendations? High to moderate protein, high to moderate fat, and high calories?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's has a line of dry food that is high protein and low carbs. Moderate fat content. Available in chicken and salmon. If you get in touch with them through the official Dr. Elsey's website, you can request free samples of each.

Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein Chicken Formula Grain-Free Dry Cat Food

Another wet food you can try is Redbarn lamb. Very high in fat and my picky boy will eat it no problem.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's has a line of dry food that is high protein and low carbs. Moderate fat content. Available in chicken and salmon. If you get in touch with them through the official Dr. Elsey's website, you can request free samples of each.

Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein Chicken Formula Grain-Free Dry Cat Food

Another wet food you can try is Redbarn lamb. Very high in fat and my picky boy will eat it no problem.
I have really been wanting to try dr elsey's cleanprotein for the longest time. I am just worried that the protein might be TOO high for a 17 year old senior cat with health issues (she was first diaganoised with kidney issues, but recent bloodwork showed bun and creatine normal and now showing pancreatitis and anemia) do you think it would still be alright to feed? Or would it be too much for a kitty like mine?

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is about 16/17 years old. She hates it whenever I heat up the food.. I don't believe she has ever gotten sick when I gave her cold food. She does have pancreatitis and anemia though. I hope its still fine to give her cold food and that i am not making things worse for her in any way. I am just trying to get her to eat as much canned food as she wants it's been really hard because she usually just takes a few licks and then she's done. When it's cold she will eat a little bit more of it but truthfully it's been a struggle to even get her to eat one full 3oz can of wet food in a day. She is very thin so I have to give her some dry as well but can't seem to find a good dry food that she will eat enthusiastically

Does anyone have any good dry food recommendations? High to moderate protein, high to moderate fat, and high calories?

Check out this website.

10 Best High Calorie Cat Food to Gain Weight Reviewed in November 2018

Best of wishes, Jenn

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
My senior gal loves her wet food cold.
My other two, if faced with cold wet food, take one bite, look at me like I'm a monster, scratch around to "hide" it, and walk away hungry.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 - I have been heating up our kitten's food in the microwave because he seems to not know what to do with refrigerated food. If it's a new can, I can give it to him at room temp and he scarfs it down. Once it's been opened...I suppose he can't smell it properly or it is simply less appealing to him. I heat up a small amount for literally 4 to 5 seconds, just to take the chill off. I'm hoping as he gets older he will care less, as my other two cats will eat whatever is put in front of them, cold or not.
Microwaving even for a few seconds destroys nutrients. How much? I don’t know. Is it problematic? I don’t know. If it concerns you, use a baggie under warm water.

I raw feed so I would never use the microwave. I marked off 100F (“body temp”) on my kitchen sink using two halves of a sticker and a candy thermometer so that I don’t have to worry about nutrient destruction. Is that a bit much? Maybe. But Krista is totally worth it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don’t know if dry food is good for pancreatitis. Dry food leaves the stomach at too high a pH setting up the pancreatic enzymes for the wrong environment.

My Krista had pancreatitis. I feel for you. It was very difficult to get her to eat. Ask your vet about anti-nausea drug, appetite stimulant, pain relief, and B-12. You may also need to break up her meals into several smaller meals rather than two large ones. Finally, use toppers and bribes and pick up some Cat Cal or Nutri Cal (nutritional gel). This stuff is like crack to my kitty and is always a good bribe to perk up her appetite and eat just about anything buried underneath it. You can also make a gravy out of the gel with a little water and use that gravy to make her food more appealing.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if dry food is good for pancreatitis. Dry food leaves the stomach at too high a pH setting up the pancreatic enzymes for the wrong environment.

My Krista had pancreatitis. I feel for you. It was very difficult to get her to eat. Ask your vet about anti-nausea drug, appetite stimulant, pain relief, and B-12. You may also need to break up her meals into several smaller meals rather than two large ones. Finally, use toppers and bribes and pick up some Cat Cal or Nutri Cal (nutritional gel). This stuff is like crack to my kitty and is always a good bribe to perk up her appetite and eat just about anything buried underneath it. You can also make a gravy out of the gel with a little water and use that gravy to make her food more appealing.
Thanks, i am trying my best to get her to eat more canned food, i know its better for her. She just is never able to finish one small can (i give her several small meals a day- at most she will probably eat half of a small can in a day- which is not enough calories for her especially bc i am trying to get her to gain some weight, she is so thin and bony :( ) so I have to supplement with some dry as well as nutrical. She LOVES nutrical but only on it own, if i mix it with anything else she refuses to eat it!

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the link! Lots of good options. I actually picked up the wellness core original (turkey) and she will not eat it! She used to eat Fromm gamebird and Fromm Hasen Ducken but she suddenly stopped and lost interest in them. So i went with taste of the wild rocky mountain (cuz she used to eat that before fromm and liked it- also it helped her put on some weight at the time too) but now she doesn't seem very interested in the TOTW either( if i wet it a little bit she will eat some of it( i know it's not good to do that because of bacteria and all so i put down a small amount wet it a little bit and then as soon as shes done eating i dump it) I just want to find something she will LOVE and want to eat a lot of but it's so hard... :/

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, i am trying my best to get her to eat more canned food, i know its better for her. She just is never able to finish one small can (i give her several small meals a day- at most she will probably eat half of a small can in a day- which is not enough calories for her especially bc i am trying to get her to gain some weight, she is so thin and bony :( ) so I have to supplement with some dry as well as nutrical. She LOVES nutrical but only on it own, if i mix it with anything else she refuses to eat it!
Is she getting B-12 shots? Recovery won't be meaningful without them. 1/8 dose of mirtazapine every other day and Cerenia (if she will tolerate it) will go a long way to getting her eating again.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she getting B-12 shots? Recovery won't be meaningful without them. 1/8 dose of mirtazapine every other day and Cerenia (if she will tolerate it) will go a long way to getting her eating again.
Nope the vet never suggested for her to get any of that. He said we could try sub-q fluids but not too much because she is also anemic- he told me if she got too much fluids she could go into shock and die :/. Other than that he just gave me antibiotics for her- first clavamox... but she had an allergic reaction to it and it was to strong for her so I had him write her a prescription for amoxi drops instead cuz she has taken them before and seemed to have no reactions at the time. (It's been about 4 days or so since she stopped the clavamox) still waiting for the amoxi drops to be shipped here cuz they didn't carry the feline version at her vet. He recommended I do some more testing(ultrasound and xrays or biopsy) to get more information. But he said to try the antibiotics first because she had an infection and we will see where to go from there. I hope they help...