Cognitive Isssues with Kitties

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 14 or 15 (we're not sure) Greta has been diagnosed with cognitive issues. We have a wonderful vet Greta is doing well except for this. She has the typical symptoms of staring into space, looking like she doesn't know what to do, having to put food dish under her nose sometimes, etc. She's doing ok but I wondered if anyone had experience with cognitive issues. She doesn't like to interact with us much and I'd like to find a way to engage her more but she doesn't play with toys, doesn't like boxes, doesn't chase things; she was never very playful, always more sedate but now I wonder if there are any other ideas of how to get her attention.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Catnip? Laser light? TV? (I had a def cat that was a bit off and she loved colorful commercials)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Catnip? Laser light? TV? (I had a def cat that was a bit off and she loved colorful commercials)
She used to like catnip, now it's off and on. Never did like the laser light. Wondered about downloading videos for cats on an Ipad or something. Appreciate the info. Thanks
:wave3:

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She used to like catnip, now it's off and on. Never did like the laser light. Wondered about downloading videos for cats on an Ipad or something. Appreciate the info. Thanks
:wave3:
I am going to bet she’ll have good and bad days. What works today may not tomorrow and may the next.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Our 14 or 15 (we're not sure) Greta has been diagnosed with cognitive issues. We have a wonderful vet Greta is doing well except for this. She has the typical symptoms of staring into space, looking like she doesn't know what to do, having to put food dish under her nose sometimes, etc. She's doing ok but I wondered if anyone had experience with cognitive issues. She doesn't like to interact with us much and I'd like to find a way to engage her more but she doesn't play with toys, doesn't like boxes, doesn't chase things; she was never very playful, always more sedate but now I wonder if there are any other ideas of how to get her attention.
Is her vision going bad?

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is her vision going bad?
Not that I can tell and the vet hasn't said anything. She doesn't run into anything or show symptoms that I can tell.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. I really don't have anything much to offer other than appreciation for what you are going through with Greta. Feeby (16+ yo) who I can tell has some hearing loss hasn't yet been 'diagnosed' with any cognitive issues. However, sometimes, she seems to stare off into space - almost as if she is trying to decide what to do next. And, I think on her 'off' days, she is less than enthused to eat much. There have been times I have brought the food to her because she hadn't visited her food dish for hours and hours. Most of the times I have done this, she ends up eating.

She doesn't really play much at all (never really did), and I haven't found anything to change that. The one and only 'toy' she interacts with regularly is an old shoe string. We have had that same shoe string for years. The other thing she loves, but that is so she can chew on them, not play with them, are ribbons. I tried the cloth ribbons in place of those and that was a 'no go'. I also tried bird & cat videos but once she realized they weren't real (less than a minute or two), she stopped paying attention.

Does Greta have have access to windows to look outside? It might worth it, if she does, to place a bird feeder near the window - the bird activity might interest/entertain her. Feeby does like her time looking out windows and on our screened in patio.

I do spend a lot of time talking to Feeby because the one thing she does like to do is spend time with me in whatever room I am in. She, too, is not much of a 'cuddler' and generally doesn't seek out pettings/etc., but will take a nap on my lap during the evening when the weather is a bit cooler.

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI. I really don't have anything much to offer other than appreciation for what you are going through with Greta. Feeby (16+ yo) who I can tell has some hearing loss hasn't yet been 'diagnosed' with any cognitive issues. However, sometimes, she seems to stare off into space - almost as if she is trying to decide what to do next. And, I think on her 'off' days, she is less than enthused to eat much. There have been times I have brought the food to her because she hadn't visited her food dish for hours and hours. Most of the times I have done this, she ends up eating.

She doesn't really play much at all (never really did), and I haven't found anything to change that. The one and only 'toy' she interacts with regularly is an old shoe string. We have had that same shoe string for years. The other thing she loves, but that is so she can chew on them, not play with them, are ribbons. I tried the cloth ribbons in place of those and that was a 'no go'. I also tried bird & cat videos but once she realized they weren't real (less than a minute or two), she stopped paying attention.

Does Greta have have access to windows to look outside? It might worth it, if she does, to place a bird feeder near the window - the bird activity might interest/entertain her. Feeby does like her time looking out windows and on our screened in patio.

I do spend a lot of time talking to Feeby because the one thing she does like to do is spend time with me in whatever room I am in. She, too, is not much of a 'cuddler' and generally doesn't seek out pettings/etc., but will take a nap on my lap during the evening when the weather is a bit cooler.
Your reply makes me feel much better. To know someone else has gone through this. Sounds almost exactly like Greta. We bought Greta a toy that has a plastic arm and used to have a feather on the end and automatically spun around. The feather is gone and nothing spins but she like's to rub her cheeks on it like to mark it. It's the only "toy" she'll use, much like your shoe string. Haven't tried the video thing yet but thought about it. Have a suspicion that Greta would probably do what Feeby did. She does have a kinda table perch that my husband built for her by the window with stairs as she doesn't jump much any more and she has some cat grass and a water fountain on it. For a long time she didn't use it but now she is getting on it more. As I say, it really helps to know that someone else has dealt with this. Thank you so much for your reply!!!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What toys have you tried to play with her? My cat plays with wand toys with a toy attached she can grab. She does not like da bird. Cats do love strings. My cats fav is the purrfect leather wand. After 3 years I had to cut off the end. Now she loves it even more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We bought Greta a toy that has a plastic arm and used to have a feather on the end and automatically spun around. The feather is gone and nothing spins but she like's to rub her cheeks on it like to mark it.
Too funny! A relative just bought something very similar for Feeby! It 's round and spins, and also has a flashing laser in it, as well as the 'arm' with a bee on the top. Feeby was interested at first in the flashing laser, but she kept getting hit in the head by the bee!! After about 1-2 minutes, she pretty much said '$%^&' that! She does lay with it nearby her though (obviously turned off)!
She does have a kinda table perch that my husband built for her by the window with stairs as she doesn't jump much any more and she has some cat grass and a water fountain on it.
With Feeby, we use footstools that are about 12" in diameter (smaller ones she won't use) and set those around so she can have something to use as an interim step. That has helped a lot in terms of where she will go now. She, also, unfortunately, uses our coffee table to get to the couch so she can reach the front window. Something she would nave never done a few years back - but, it's OK...she's entitled now...

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What toys have you tried to play with her? My cat plays with wand toys with a toy attached she can grab. She does not like da bird. Cats do love strings. My cats fav is the purrfect leather wand. After 3 years I had to cut off the end. Now she loves it even more.
I'll give the string a try. Thanks!