Cody has a spot/bump on his tounge... possible cancer.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my baby boy to the vet a few days ago, because I saw a smallish unusual mark/raised area on his tounge. He has also lost some weight, but I thought that was from our reccent move, this house is much larger than our old one, so he is getting more exercise.

Vet did blood work, he said that it was perfect, that Codys blood work looked like a kitten. we also did a thyroid test. He went over the results with me, and they were all in normal range. (the print out had normal values on it & Codys values.) The vet was more concerned about Cody's weight loss. He didn't seen THAT concerned about Cody's tounge, he seemed to think it was just a marking like Chow Chows have. But I know for a fact that Cody did not have this mark before. I check my cats' teeth/mouth regularly for this exact reason.

The vet did not reccomend doing a biopsy, I asked. He said that Cody would have to be put under for the biopsy and to just watch it closely and to make sure that Cody doesn't loose any more weight. He said if anything changes to bring him back. Cody weighed 11.5 a few months ago, now he weighs 9.5. The vet said it may just be a mark, something else, or melanoma....
I am so afraid. I have always had this bad feeling that Cody would not live a normal lifespan (he will be 6yrs in july), he means more to me than anything in the whole world. He is my heart kitty, I have 4 other cats, but they are not as connected to me as Cody is.

I don't know what to do. I could demad a biopsy, but if it IS cancer I am afraid that a Biopsy would make it flare up and enter his blood stream. I have seen cancer in a few animals, everyone in my family has pets and several have had dogs with cancer. The dogs who had the cancer removed, the cancer came back and spread very rapidly, the dogs died not long after. The dogs who didn't have the cancer removed lived 2-4yrs after diagnosis. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

If it IS cancer, I do not want it removed. I don't even think it could be removed, it's on the center of his tounge. So even if I did get a biopsy and found out that it was cancer, there isn't much to do.

Right now I am just focusing on his weight, I am giving him Nurti-Cal and letting him eat whatever he wants. (he doesn't really like much people food, so he is getting as much Nutro as he wants)

I try not to think about it. I have been keeping myself busy, it's all I can to to keep from obsessiong over this. I took a few pics of it, I plan on taking pics every week to see if it has shrunk/grew. It's hard to get a good pic of though.

Does anyone have any ideas? What more can I do????

Please pray that Cody gets better,he gains weight, that it isn't cancer, and that the mark on his tounge goes away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg...

I just found a pic from Jan 22 2010 of him yawning. And there is nothing on his tounge.

This is not fair.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can get a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th because there are 4 vets at my office... When we go back I will get input from the other vets and bring my pics. Thanks Jacky!

But there isn't much to do if it is cancer...

Here are the pics recent pics:

Doesn't look terribly bad, right? But look at this pic, and look at the date:

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(He got a lot of treats and loving for putting up with me while I took those pics
)

I am not sure when it first started, but it had to be sometime after Jan 22. It is slightly raised. That would be so wonderful if it is just a bruise! I just worry because the weight loss started around the same time. I wasn't worried about the weight loss before, because we just moved (2 weeks) and Cody had alot more room to run around and play, so I figured that was why he lost weight & I increased his food. His appetite is a little low too, but it could be because we moved and he is still checking everything out, I hope.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am going to show the pictures to a vet tech I know from a sphynx site.
Maybe she can help.
Thanks so much!

If I see any change at all we are going back to the vet,unless it's something good like it goes away. If it is a bruise, *fingers crossed* it should fade away within a few days.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a reply from my friend.

I agree with you, it looks like a bruise. The fact that its raised increases the chances that its trauma. I'd recommend to her taking pictures of it once every 5 days. This way she can compare pictures and determine if there's change in the growth/appearance.

Because she's not willing to have the spot removed or even biopsied, the best she can do is hope for a bruise and go from there. This might be part of why he's losing weight, his desire to not eat. I'd recommend she add canned food to his diet. I hate Science Diet, but A/D is great at putting weight on animals.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I think it looks like a bruise, too. Maybe he got it playing with the other cats. At any rate, lots of heading Cody's way.

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope it's just a bruise. Until you know, keep an eye on it, but try not to panic. You are doing everything you can for your wonderful baby.

lovemahkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm certainly no expert, but i'd lean towards it being trauma of some kind as others have mentioned. maybe a bruise, maybe he licked or chewed on something that he shouldn't have, maybe something hot, even? any trauma to the mouth would certainly curb the appetite and cause weight loss. try not to worry too much about it now.

i know it's hard not to expect the worst (um... because that's what i ALWAYS do with my kids), but just watch it and take pictures. it really could be nothing, and could go away as quickly as it came about.

cody!

(btw, he's adorable
)

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the replies, you have all helped me feel a bit better about this. I didn't even think of it being a bruise and the vet didn't mention that possibility either. I went around and looked at every cord, toy, ect and can't figure out what he could have got into. Maybe he licked an electrical socket? I think that would have done alot worse though. I don't light candles, so that isn't it.

Cody did the sweetest thing last night while I was on TCS worrying about him. He came and layed on me purring, he was in the way so I couldn't see the computer screen. I took the hint and got off and gave him some attention. They certainly know when something is up.

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Has the vet ruled out a fungus?. Lots of mega healthy that it's nothing though
He didn't mention it, but that is possible. If it spreads or grows I will ask the vet about the possibility of it being a fungus before we do anything. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mews2much

Here is a reply from my friend.

I agree with you, it looks like a bruise. The fact that its raised increases the chances that its trauma. I'd recommend to her taking pictures of it once every 5 days. This way she can compare pictures and determine if there's change in the growth/appearance.

Because she's not willing to have the spot removed or even biopsied, the best she can do is hope for a bruise and go from there. This might be part of why he's losing weight, his desire to not eat. I'd recommend she add canned food to his diet. I hate Science Diet, but A/D is great at putting weight on animals.
I am doing the pic thing, the vet was telling me that it can be tricky to moniter something like this, and that it is best to look every few days because it's not likely to change much in 24 hrs. I haven't decided 100% against a biopsy... I know it kinda sounded likt that in my other post. But if it comes down to that I may have to, the thing that bothers me is doing the biopsy and it causing it to spread, if it were cancer. I also wonder if there even is anything to do if it is cancer, short of trying to remove it.

He isn't exactly skinny, he just looks a bit lanky compared to his normal weight. I have been trying to get more food down him, including wet but he prefers dry over wet which is ok, the dry has more calories. I stated giving him some of Bear's C/D food, (Cody has had crystals before) when I had Cody on it before he got too fat, so it should help him bounce back too. The Nutri-Cal seems to have helped his appetite also. He acts completly normal though.

Originally Posted by jcat

I think it looks like a bruise, too. Maybe he got it playing with the other cats. At any rate, lots of heading Cody's way.
The more I think about it, and look at pics of feline oral cancer, the more it looks like a bruise. I really hope it's just that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mawilouwl

I hope it's just a bruise. Until you know, keep an eye on it, but try not to panic. You are doing everything you can for your wonderful baby.
I tend to expect the worse but hope for the best, they are my babies,

Originally Posted by lovemahkitties

i'm certainly no expert, but i'd lean towards it being trauma of some kind as others have mentioned. maybe a bruise, maybe he licked or chewed on something that he shouldn't have, maybe something hot, even? any trauma to the mouth would certainly curb the appetite and cause weight loss. try not to worry too much about it now.

i know it's hard not to expect the worst (um... because that's what i ALWAYS do with my kids), but just watch it and take pictures. it really could be nothing, and could go away as quickly as it came about.

cody!

(btw, he's adorable
)
Thanks, I feel alot better after reading everyone's thoughts. I will just take it day by day, I was thinking so much about the future & "what ifs" but he is ok right now and that is all that matters. It could be a bruise, and as silly as I would feel for worrying so much, that would be the best thing ever.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I checked his mouth again before I went to bed, and much to my suprise I saw this:

He was all wiggly, that is the best pic I could get.

I looked again as soon as I woke up this morning, and I was the happiest mommy ever when I saw that his tongue is 100% normal now
no mark at all! It was just a bruise, whew! The weight loss is probably just a combo of a sore tounge and him constantly runnng around checking things out at our new house. Here is a pic of the weight loss, you can only tell when he is standing, when he lays down he looks fine:

Thank you all so much!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew I am late to this thread, so can only add my happy congratulations that it turned out to be not a serious thing.

Amazing that Cody lets you take pictures of his mouth like that.

Now that the spot is healed hopefully he'll start putting his weight back on.

Be sure to call your vet and let him/her know, so it an be added to Cody's record..

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really jumped the gun on this, didn't I?
I first noticed it on Feb 12th, and we went to the vet that same day. It looked the same from the 12th-22nd. Then just dissapeared over 24hrs, strange.

Originally Posted by lovemahkitties

oh wow, that's great! i'm so happy all is well.

now, let's just get cody to stop beating up his tongue!
I still don't know what caused it, he may have bit it while eating/playing. If that is the case, he sure bit it hard.

Originally Posted by otto

Whew I am late to this thread, so can only add my happy congratulations that it turned out to be not a serious thing.

Amazing that Cody lets you take pictures of his mouth like that.

Now that the spot is healed hopefully he'll start putting his weight back on.

Be sure to call your vet and let him/her know, so it an be added to Cody's record..
He wasn't thrilled about the pics, I took a lot of pics that didn't turn out good because he was wiggling.
But he never tried to bite me or anything like that, he just wanted down. His appetite is picking up, I am glad about that.
I meant to call the vet today, thanks for reminding me.

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

OMG what a huge difference!!. That's brilliant!
It sounds like it was a bruise, so i bet Cody starts to eat better now
I think it was a bruise, it probably just looked bumpy from swollen/sore taste buds. His appetite is already improving
I am so happy that he is fine.

Thanks everyone for your support while I freaked out,