Coconut Water for Cats?

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read several conflicting articles on the net .  Anyone have any experience using coconut water for hydration?  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your cat likes it, I think it can safely be used if a cat is deyhdrated. I wouldn't give it more than as a treat otherwise, because it's got 10g of sugar per 8fl oz (not that a cat is drinking 8 ounces, but sugars and cats don't usually mix well). It's great for rehydration because of the electrolytes and potassium, but for regular use, the postassium may be a problem, depending on what shape your cat's kidneys are in. Too much potassium can cause hyperkalemia: http://www.ehow.com/list_6760326_feline-hyperkalemia-symptoms.html

It can be used, but as with everything, in moderation, and with knowledge of your cat's kidney function.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And there are some brands that use extra "stuff" like flavorings, preservatives and additional vitamins (which may not be good for a cat), so do read labels. 

doreet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coconut oil, is something I put on my face; and my cat likes it so much, when I am near her she tries to lick my hair and my face, because she likes the coconut oil so much. But I wouldn't give it too much to her. I don't think With all this dry cat food,cats get enough oil in their systems, and their skin dries out. I noticed my cat likes extra-virgin olive oil, so I have been advised by other cat owners to dump a little on her cat food, and it works pretty well.she likes so much she licks it right off my fingers. So yes, all this superduper vegetarian dietary wonderful cat food, may lack something that they used to get in just meat; and that is OIL and FAT. Everybody even humans need a certain amount of that in their diet.

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I add coconut oil to Lilly's food. I mix it with her breakfast (a 3-ounce can of Wellness Chicken Formula).