Coconut Cat Litter

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I know duckpond duckpond really likes the coconut litter although I'm not sure of the brand, also Littermaid has a walnut litter that isn't dusty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Blue walnut shell litter. It’s very messy and the red dust covers everything in the vicinity. I saw the coconut litter recently but was hoping I’d find some reviews here before I bought it.
You’re not supposed to scoop the urine but can you? Is it justn a matter of the litter not lasting long enough?
I used Blue walnut litter in the past, and yes it is red dust everywhere. The Litter maid walnut litter that you can get at walmart is much better, IMO. Dust free, and track less, no red dust on my white cat, or in the room.

I did like the catspot coconut litter, and my cats LOVE it. My problem with it was i only used it in one box. All 4 cats would only use that one box, for all of their business...lol. You are suppose to put about 1 to 2 inches of litter, scoop the poo, and just stir up the pee. One bag is suppose to last 1 cat a month. I think that would work actually. But with 4 cats, 2 of which are big males that eat mostly wet food, well lets just say on day 4 i had to dump and refill. The ammonia smell when i would stir the litter was to much. Didnt smell in the room, just when i stir.

The coconut absorbs the liquid quite well, once the litter was a day or two old, if i was really careful i could scoop some of the pee spots. But it is a really soft fine litter, hard to scoop pee.

If i only had one or two cats, or wanted to convert all of my boxes to the coconut litter i think its great. Not dusty, as long as you keep the amount low like they suggest 1 to 2 inches, the cats dont track it worse than any other litter. No smell until it needs changed. And my cats all LOVE it.

KimothyAnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 5 cats sharing one litter box, and another in quarantine for a couple of months (brother who went 'rogue' for 7 months; undergoing immunizations, neutering, parasite removal-he returned May 19). From May 9 until May 30, the cats shared one litter box with this new Catspot product. Tracking was limited when I left the level at a very very, under 1/2" level. I changed more often - tossed out every evening because the ammonia level was saturated. I was fine with that. Always fresh for them. If I had a higher level, I would have to try and scoop the wet areas in clumps, then mix the rest. That became very labor intensive. Then I noticed "Timmy", my 10 month old showed black 'soot' around his nose entrance. I could not clean it. As soon as the first bag was used, I decided to not go further. After I had started to use the CatSpot, I read up on some independent reviews from Amazon. One person warned to not purchase because one, then two, and then her third cat started having UTI's (urinary tract infections). She felt she was to lose the first cat, and suspects the CatSpot. I commented to her, perhaps her cats disliked it and held in their urine too long. Possible. But now, one of my cats has come down with pneumonia! The CatSpot liter and his returning sibling were the only variables/changes in the last 3 weeks. "Rascal" did some light, quick coughs at the beginning over a period of days, but last night, he was hacking like crazy, and acting like he was having trouble breathing. The ER Vets are trying to figure out if it is asthma, allergies, or what. All I am saying is what that other owner was saying: beware. Watch your cats like hawks; note any sneezes, coughing, and if they get some raspy coughing or breathing , or walking about crying (the UTI situation)- GO TO THE ER.
Enclosed picture of my darling Rascal. Never a nicer nor gentler cat you'd find.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your baby is better soon!

You never know with cats. I used the catspot for litter for a month or so, i liked it, so did the cats. With 4 i just didnt want to toss and refill that often, and im happy with my grass litter, so i didnt switch over.. My cats, even the one with asthma never seemed to have any problems with it.

Do keep us updated on how your guys are doing! :crossfingers: