Coco Help

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, forgive me of all the text I’m about to write quite alot.... I’ve been researching through most of the web trying to find info and helps but being uncertain is not helping me.

Basically I had a female cat (coco) of around early 7 months, and a friend had a male who was early 9 months. Due to circumstances I had to lodge at their home till i found a new apartment to stay at (don’t ask.. neighbours can be aweful sometimes), anyways these cats were always supervised and they hated each other.
Although the male is friendly even till now with all cats since the beginning, he was a rescue kitty, he wasn’t interested in coco .. so this all happened around let’s say 20th Jan. They fought so badly during this time it took me a week to get them to even look at each other.... and involved isolating them separately all the time.
I noticed coco had been in heat only 2 days after she started, around the 27th let’s say the male had no clue as to why and did not attempt anything, at this point they tolerated each other up to a foot away.
Once we saw the male trying to chase and mount her.. that instance we isolated them and booked a next morning appointment to get the male neutered, as the vet said coco was too small and can be done in 2 months.
Things were ok we managed to get the male done, however the vet said he only had 1 testicle remove, as the other was probably not mature enough and has not popped up, and assured me it could take 10 years or more before it does.

Anyways all things were fine, until after his surgery we noticed the male trying to mount her and well do his thing, we separated them for a few days but eventually had to be let out.
Last week I noticed coco had gone more barrel shaped and her nipples had pinked, and took to the internet to look up how and when this happened. We even went to the vet and asked but they only had theories of: Attempts were made a few days before it, however we feel more like the hidden testicle descended for whatever reason.

I managed to take coco to the vet next day (last week) and she is apparently 4 weeks pregnant with 4 kittens, problem with the vet is since I found out I trust this vet a bit less now (as in the past they aged a friends cat wrong from 9months at 1 occasion to 1.7 years 2 months later.

Well now the story is over.. and I’ve built her a nesting home, followed tips, instructions and everything I can do to help this first time birth, and have managed to get owners sorted for the kitty’s.

She’s quite affectionate, rubbing, literally sleeping on my chest when I’m laying down at any opportunity, I sometimes see tiny movements of the kitties under her fur and on palpating have felt 2 of them on opposite sides of her abdomen and well ate quite a lot (she normally used to inhale the food regardless) till today where she had a sudden appetite loss.
Other problem she had was soft and sometimes liquid light brown stool, taken to the vet 2x now and they didn’t seem to concerned but online has suggested otherwise... thing is this has lasted almost 2 weeks, vet had suggested to feed the queen rice and boiled chicken to help with it, sometimes I see signs of ever so slightly recovering and clumping of the stool then it goes back to diarrhoea.

I took her to another vet today at a clinic outside of town, who has asked me to come again tomorrow to perform more tests and gave some antibiotics and prescribed Imodium to help her, so waiting on that to find out why her stool is as it is, although till now this did not effect her appetite. She drinks a lot of water on a regular basis compared to other cats.

I’m just wondering should I stick to the vets estimate of well hitting 5th week now... or should I assume it may have happened earlier and be prepped for kitties by next week or so? She’s currently been isolated just in case as the male often cares for her too much and feel like he’s instigating her best symptoms while in pregnancy, but has not been successful.

I’m excited but also worried for coco as yes she is half the age of what should be the norm and as soon as this process is over she will be neutered along side the male for the hidden testicle.

Male was neutered on the 30th Jan.. as an example if he was successful in impregnating her still after this then the kitties would be in around week 6. Unless he had kept trying with her in which case she’s in week end 4-5.. there’s no milk production, restlessness, she likes her nesting box but just sits in it, and prefers just sleeping close to us all the time. Not very vocal unless we leave the room, however earlier today she was let out on the balcony and she was meowing a few time (sounded like calling.) attached a photo below of the coco and male (stalker in black/white) and they only tolerated this closeness in the 1st week of March, before if the male even tried this coco would leave the room and find a new spot to stay in without exception only because she is intolerant of other cats in general.

Attachments

moggielover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, first of all, the vet was wrong to inform you that testicles can take 10 years to drop. By the time a male kitten is 6 weeks of age, assuming all goes well, the testicles will have fully descended into the scrotal sac.

The male cat in question is what is called a monocryptorchid, meaning that one of his testicles failed to descend from his abdomen to his scrotum.
This increases the risks of cancer, so the undescended testicle should be removed ASAP.

It's uncommon, but cryptic male cats CAN impregnate females.

As far as aging cats, it is not a 100% science. Most vets can estimate accurately give or take a year or two, so an aging estimate between 9 months and 1 years 7 months isn't too bad.

With her stool being runny, just follow your vet's advice and keep her on any meds prescribed. Follow up with your vet, as they request. Runny stool can be caused by many things, from worms to parasites to bacteria and pregnancy. Pregnancy related diarrhea is due to the hormone relaxin, and in cats, it usually occurs nearer to the due date (weeks 7-9). Since your cat is experiencing frequent diarrhea, I'm not convinced it is relaxin related. Ask your vet to run a stool sample for worms/bacteria/parasites.

As far as determining the fetal age, you can assume she is between 4 and 6 weeks. Not all matings will go noticed by us humans.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took her to the other vet, he gave her some antibiotics to help with the diarrhea and small Imodium tablet broken into 8th. It has helped with it, this vet however said she is in her 7th week of pregnancy and could be due just over a week.

I have isolated her in her own room with everything she would need and the right temp, however she howls whenever I have to leave the room and door closed on her, this of course stops when I'm there.

Reason for isolation was because she was showing the signs if heat with the male around and they were mounted on each other but was not the same as her normal heat pattern as she ends up just escaping within 5 seconds after.. not sure if that is normal.

I would like to ask I've made a small nesting box with everything I could get my hands on at present, tried to get a few cardboard storage boxes but the nearest store (15 mins away) will have some next week. I'm not sure if it is wide enough but she fits in there and does go in. Also put 2 blankets and newspaper inside. Did not have a tape measure nearby to give dimensions.

Attachments

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, just awaiting the kitties and signs that will shoe that she's near... currently she's still in her eating phase and sleeps alot which is good :)

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no signs of the babies coming out soon, maybe the first vet was right... in which case she's in week 6? I'm not sure anymore... waiting game kills...

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coco was sat near me sleeping and just jumped up and made strange sounds.... checked her other side and she had a very small amount of brown watery discharge... after this point I have seen her licking that side for about 20 mins, finally stopping and I hear her making licking sounds.. kinda like you would with dry mouth

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Discharges are common, even brownish - ie containing some blood. And yes, she will lick them off. Of course, it may easily become touchy, so continue to watch over her, and be sure the discharges arent having any bad smelling.

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does that mean she's not far off then? As 1 vet estimated this week would be when she gives birth... another suggested between the 15th-20th April.

She has been following me everywhere alot more today and just making short meow sounds and demanding more rubs than her earlier weeks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Belly rubs? yes, its nearing. Belly rubs are not only a nice massage, but they also help things and hormones get going a little faster,

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's been rolling over and giving her belly for rubs in general for last 1.5 weeks. Rubs as in she rubs her head alot on Me, sometimes her body, on my hand etc.

Also noticed her wandering around the bedroom and she dug herself under the bed covers, which she normally never done till today.

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coco just gave birth an hour ago, funnily enough I checked up 10 mins before she started and she showed no signs... but by the time she did she had 2 kittens, havnt had time to weight them, was expecting 4 but so far 5 have come.. And from looks of it there could be a 6th... Will post pics soon. And yes she will be isolated and spayed from the other male (he shall get the surgery too the 2nd time to find the hidden testicle)

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's pics of 2 I managed to take. She manages to have all 5 within the hour. Also she has not removed the umbilical cords... what is the right amount if time I should wait before intervening?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That was quick! We had barely began to suspect the delivery could be quite soon now, and they are here already! "When talking about trolls, they are already here standing in the dooropening!" :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here's pics of 2 I managed to take. She manages to have all 5 within the hour. Also she has not removed the umbilical cords... what is the right amount if time I should wait before intervening?
If they arent intertwined with something, its no big hurry. Wait at least 15 minutes, so all blood has flowed through. After it you can sear it off, say a couple of centimeters from their tummy. You can use your nails or a blund scissor, is best. Sharp scissor may be dangerous if there is still blood flowing, as this sears off more than blunt... Mommas teath aarennt sterile nor sharp.

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After 5 babies came out, she decided to eat them slowly over time... as they were in hard to reach places under and behind her I didn't do anything to disturb her... I did manage to remove 1 myself as I read it is not healthy for them to eat more than 4 placenta.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good. You meant she began to eat the placentas? And at the same time, the main part of the umbilical cords.

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she ate the placenta and worked her way down the cord like spaghetti, umm one thing I havnt been able to check... from this site they said normally milk production starts 48 hrs before birth... I've been checking and squeezing around the nipple region for last few days however no milk was being excreted. I have not been able to check at this moment since she has curled up and keeping the babies warm.... And have not been able to take the kitties to weight them?

Should j be concerned.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes the milk comes late, even after the delivery. But a wise owner double guards and have some kmr or goats milk at home, just if....
If they are healthy, you do have some time. If necessary, you can give them some water with honey on their lips. Not yet, but its a good emergency solution.

A scale is wise to have, to get the count as soon as possible.