Coaxing A Sick Cat Out From Under The Bed??

genevievem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My semi feral, Marbles, has ulcers in her mouth and requires buprenorphine every twelve hours. The issue, though, is that she HATES being held/forced into place so after I give her the medicine she usually bolts under my bed and hides for as long as she can. I have to administer her next dose in a minute but she refuses to come out. Since her mouth is so sore from the ulcers and recent teeth extractions, she's not food motivated at all. Calling her name, opening cans of soft food or tuna, treats, leaving her alone for a little, nothing works. She's in pain and won't let me help, and I'm really sad and frustrated about it. Right now she's curled into a ball under my bed trying to sleep but I really want to get her medicine in her. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!!

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to move the bed? Some beds in my house might as well be bolted to the floor, but others glide quite easily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

genevievem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My bed is mounted on two box springs pushed together up against the wall, and she's in the back corner of the room, so it would be a little difficult but I could manage pulling everything apart. I'm just really worried about scaring her. Scaring her is probably better than leaving her without pain medicine, though, right?

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would do what you have to, but I can understand not wanting to scare her. My cat takes meds three times a day. He's not so much afraid as annoyed by having to take his pill. We have hard floors in some rooms, and I've been known to just slide the bed out of the way and then back over him after I'm done.

I was angry at a sitter who completely tore a bed apart trying to get him out once though. He was obviously scared when we got home (not to mention the bed was messed up).

If you do have to move furniture, try to be as gentle as possible.

genevievem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I just called the vet and they said to try heating up some tuna for her but all that did was make her go further back under the bed. I'm gonna let her relax for a few minutes and then start pulling everything apart. Thank you for the suggestion!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a liquid med? If so, you can try mixing it with a tiny bit of wet food or tuna juice and leaving it under the bed. Hopefully if left alone she will calm down enough to eat it. If she were mine, if that didn't work I would probably forego the med until she came out on her own. Then try to block the underbed so she needs to hide in a more acccessible space.

genevievem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is a liquid but it has to absorb into the skin instead of being ingested, so if she swallows it then it has no effect. And that leads me to my next question: does anyone know whether squirting buprenorphine against her gums/in that general area of her mouth is as effective as squirting it under her tongue or into her cheek pocket? I can only lift her upper lip and release the syringe against her gums, otherwise she flails and whips her head around too much.

TnK

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My timid cat doesn't like being held and sensitive to anything and will run away easily so I knew it will be difficult one day when I need to give her medicine.

Somehow her eyes can be infected easily don't know why. It happened a number of times that one of her eyes will be swollen and all wet suddenly. Every time, our vet said she has ulcer so need to put on the cone for 2 weeks but not necessary the whole time...only when I'm out at work to prevent my another cat hurting her. Giving her 2 kinds of eye drops 2 times a day can be super difficult. But l found that she can't run as quick when she's on the cone then make me easier to catch and hold her. I also need to use a towel to wrap her tightly then do it quickly. I will also give her the treat that she's crazy (she doesn't like all kinds of treats) about whenever I put on the cone and after the eyedrops. Even though she will still struggle and run away after the eye drops, its funny that she will purr and happy when I put the cone on her, of course I will remove it after then give her the treat again to give her positive experience so she won't be as afraid.

Blocking your under bed and finding another hiding spot for your cat will be a good idea.

Last edited: