Coat regrowth?

sizzlecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The two kittens I adopted a few weeks ago are doing really well. I do have a question on their coats though. They are longhaired, and came home with dull, brittle, flat "shelter coats" - on a few weeks of good food, their legs and ruffs (and shoulders) are growing full and fluffy - not ratty looking. However, their lower backs still have that icky shelter coat.

They are brushed daily - will the nice plush coat I'm seeing on their heads/legs/tails/ruffs spread to their backs eventually? Or is there something else I need to be doing, grooming-wise, to help it along?

Thanks!

Oh - somewhat of a photographic example:

The day they came home (this is Jacques)

And Jacques a few days ago:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's gorgeous! Bless you for taking them in! They should get a nice coat overall with the continued regular good food and brushing. You can add a bit of fish oil to their diet and that will help as well.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes time. I'm surprised at some the quick change. Keep in mind that the kitten coat will fall out and the kitten's will probably have their adult coats by spring time.

Keep up the good work. Grooming longhairs when young will save you the hassle of dealing with an adult cat that hates to be combed. BTW you should be using fine and medium toothed combs for grooming. Brushes don't do anything for a long hair coat.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful!!!! He looks soooo happy. Give it some more time and his entire coat should be fine. When Mikey, a stray/semi feral, showed up at my house his coat was AWFULL. It was to the point I hated to touch it but within 3-4 months he has the best coat of all my cats. He is a short haired guy so I bet it will take longer for your little guy.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So darn cute! Coats just take a long time to grow out. The longer the coat the longer it takes (obvious I guess).
It can take 6 months to a year for a cats coat to come back in full. There really isn't anything special to do except keep it matt free and clean.