Clumps Of Hair

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8-month kitten, Colette, doesn't seem to be shedding and I can't find any bald spots on her (she is semi-long hair). Yet I'm finding small clumps of hair in the floor. What is this about?

I feed her 1/2 frozen raw Nature's Variety or Primal and 1/2 canned Nature's Variety. I heard somewhere that cats on raw diets don't shed and don't have hairball issues. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

She's on Advantage Multi and stays indoors. I think she itches quite a bit but it's not constant. How much scratching is too much?

She is also wearing a PetArmor pheromone collar to help her deal with my roommate's new dog. I don't see any reaction from that.

Any advice? Thank you meowy much!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, why is she on Advantage? She may be having a reaction to it, and it’s probably not that necessary if she’s indoors.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor as well, and i use advantage multi, i know i occasionally drag in a flea, tick, and mosquitoes from my yard.. My cats also scratch a bit now and and again, i guess just like we do, i dont know. Long as it doesn't seem too much i dont worry.

As for the clumps of fur, mine do that, if i don't brush them a few times a week. Especially right now when its getting hot. If i brush several times a week, then no clumps :) I think all cats will shed, no matter what they are eating. Brushing helps a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, why is she on Advantage? She may be having a reaction to it, and it’s probably not that necessary if she’s indoors.
My roommate’s dog is likely to bring in an occasional flea. I prefer to tackle that preventively rather than treat 2 animals & an entire house on Nature’s timetable should 1 or 2 fleas proliferate.

Also, we live in a subtropical environment that’s also a heart worm epicenter. Mosquitos are prevalent & almost year-round here. I understand cats have a resistance to heart worm but not a full immunity. A family friend’s dog become infected years ago in another state. It’s heartbreaking (pardon the pun) but preventable. I’m responsible for Colette’s health & well being.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would probably treat the dog for the fleas and ticks and not the cat but I totally understand why you are doing it.
I have had a lot of cats in my life and occasionally there is a clump of fur on the floor, usually they were rolling around on the floor and it was something that just came out. I didn't worry about it. Do you comb/brush the cat regularly? I think in those subtropical areas or even when it's hot where I live, my cats shed a lot more. It's worth it to add a bit of extra grooming. Might also help with the itching.
The itching might be a food allergy.