Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Which do you prefer best and why? Or do you use something else altogether?

I have tried both and I would have to say clumping works best for Mylo and Sephie. The non-clumping left our apartment smelling horrible, even when cleaning it daily AND spraying it. 
 Neither of our kitties have ingested the litter (clumping or non-clumping) and have not had any stuck on them or even any health issues.

The only con I would give the clumping litter would be the increased tracking. It seems as if I have to sweep the area around the litter box (which is a closed litter box mind you) at least once a day. Ha! That makes me sound a little OCD, but I love to be barefoot and stepping on litter pieces is not very enjoyable for my feet. 

Ana 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snipped>Which do you prefer best and why?<snipped>
I have ALWAYS used non-clumping clay litter. I had to use it though. I have always had, until, very recently exotic or hybrid exotic cats. Since, these type of cats, are, prone to pica (the eating of non-food items) clumping litter, was, a no no in my house. Since, my domestics, where/are, indoor/outdoor cats, they, never much cared, what, litter I used. Since, they, prefer to use the soil outside instead

Now, the reason, that, my home did not smell, was, I went threw, 100lbs of cat litter a week. Which, I kept in huge litter boxes. Plus, weekly dumping and cleaning of the litter boxes. Of course, I scopped the boxes 2-3x a day. Depending on how often, the boxes got used.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have ALWAYS used non-clumping clay litter. I had to use it though. I have always had, until, very recently exotic or hybrid exotic cats. Since, these type of cats, are, prone to pica (the eating of non-food items) clumping litter, was, a no no in my house. Since, my domestics, where/are, indoor/outdoor cats, they, never much cared, what, litter I used. Since, they, prefer to use the soil outside instead

Now, the reason, that, my home did not smell, was, I went threw, 100lbs of cat litter a week. Which, I kept in huge litter boxes. Plus, weekly dumping and cleaning of the litter boxes. Of course, I scopped the boxes 2-3x a day. Depending on how often, the boxes got used.
Oh yeah, we dumped it out every week too. We actually went through it pretty fast (yay!) Unfortunately both my husband and I work, so once a day is all we could do. I think with the clumping one this works best for us. 
 I wasn't familiar with the pica. I learned something new today! 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, we dumped it out every week too.

Wow, I am surprised that it still smelled so bad then. I will be the first to admit, that, if people do not dump the whole box, once a week, then, it smells horrible. Non-clumping, has, to be changed VERY frequently.

We actually went through it pretty fast (yay!)

I am glad, about that, for your sake 

Unfortunately both my husband and I work, so once a day is all we could do.

I work full time too. But, thank God, that, I could spend my lunch hour home with my cats 

I think with the clumping one this works best for us. 

For almost EVERYONE, with domestic cats, it works best 
. If, I had strictly indoor domestic cats, I would ONLY use clumping litter 

I wasn't familiar with the pica.

Most people, with, purely domestic cats, that, are physically healthy do not have to worry about pica.

I learned something new today! 

I am glad 

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You apparently made the poll so people can check multiple boxes. I accidentally got both boxes checked when I meant to check only the clumping litter, so there's one extra vote for non-clumping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You apparently made the poll so people can check multiple boxes. I accidentally got both boxes checked when I meant to check only the clumping litter, so there's one extra vote for non-clumping.
I did this for people who use do not have a strong preference for either and still want to vote. Thanks for the clarification anyway.