Clumping/Scoopable Litter options

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

We have four adult cats and I've always used regular cat litter with a newspaper liner in four separate litter boxes. It's a lot to manage with changing it every day, so I thought I would try the scoopable litter.

I purchased a 40lb box of the store brand scoopable litter to start, and lined each of the four boxes with about 3" of litter.

I'm noticing the clumping is not sufficient to keep the urine balls together, and in the process of scooping them, the clumps somewhat come apart, leaving some of the urine and litter mixture behind.

These little bits that are left behind have a very strong ammonia smell, defeating the purpose.

Is this a symptom of the store brand litter, or is this what I should expect with this scoopable/clumping litter box format?

Meanwhile, I have 3" of litter in these litter boxes that has little bits of clumps and urine smell and I don't know what to do with it. Is it all lost now and I should dump it?

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had very good luck with Fresh Step with odor shield. I scoop once daily for my one cat. No odor, clumps stay together when I scoop. I keep litter level at 2 inches or little more.

Odor could be diet related. My Tuff is on wet food except for 1 tsp dry snack. Maybe that is one reason I notice no odor.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use TidyCat clumping.  Some fall apart; but not all.  It's good to keep the box deep so you can scoop from under the clumps.  The ones that fall apart for me are always ones around the edge of the box where they stick to the side.