Clumping litter

tico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone.

I just switched to trying a clumping litter instead of the pine pellets that I was using before.

With the pine pellets, about once a week, the pellets would be pretty much completely broken down, (not to mention a complete dusty mess) and I would toss the whole thing, clean the box and refill.

With the clumping (I'm trying the World's Best) it seems less messy, considering I flush the urine clumps. The only thing I liked less is that the little grains seem to track more often than the pellets did (until they reached sawdust stage as the breakdown progressed)

Anyways, my question is am I supposed to empty the box at any point to clean/refill the box, like with the pellet litter? Or do you just keep flushing, and topping it up as necessary?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most will tell you to clean the box entirely .. I used to monthly but now it is every couple months .... Please do not flush .... not good for you pipes or the environment

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Please do not flush .... not good for you pipes or the environment
World's Best SAYS it's flushable.....with my plumbing I'd never risk it but I guess it might work for some people. It's probably the same impact on the environment as sending it to the landfill.

IMO, if the litter doens't stink after being scooped, it doesn't need to be changed. I have heard that World's Best tends to smell a bit musty after a while. But I haven't tried it personally. The box should be washed at least once every couple of months. If the litter's still good but you want to wash the box you can just put the same litter in a clean box, that's what I do.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is flushable, but depending on the number of cats I wouldnt put that much litter down the toilet

As far as complete changes, we do one every 4-6 weeks and bleach the litterboxes when using World's Best, more in summer when the litter gets damper from the humidity and does get that musty smell, but we scoop twice a day and top up every few days

christinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a regular clumping litter and I think that how frequently you clean the entire box depends on the number of cats. That said, even when I had two cats, I found I needed to clean the boxes only about 3 times a year.
In the meantime, I made sure that the sides were cleaned off (when they got dirty), and just topped up.

I have never dumped any clumping litter. I wait until both boxes are low and then I just dump one into the other. I clean the empty one with "comet", let it dry and refill it. The next time they both get low, I clean the other one.

My new cat came with his own 'self-cleaning' litterbox. That I think is a topic for another tread, it really is interesting.