Clostridium Perifigens Sos What Do I Do

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats got sudden diarreha within a day of each other this past weekend, day 5 of diarreha, and stool tested positive for clostridium bacteria.

No clue what caused this as they have had zero diet changes and they both eat different foods. I keep my apartment clean and they are indoor only. I’m at a loss

Vet told me to give prednisolone, metrodiozole, and probiotics to kill off this bad bacteria, for ten days. First day of meds and I’m CRAZY nervous because I heard this metro antibiotic can have bad side effects.

Has anyone had this in their kitty and what were the results, vet said it is easy to cure with treatment but also not sure what caused it and don’t want it to come back.

I am not able to give my cats the S Bouliardi probiotic which is good for this bacteria because they have a yeast involterance. So not an option which is so sad.

Hope you all have any advice or positive stories :( very worried they are both sick

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there. I can't help but wanted you to know that you will soon hear from other members who can offer their experiences. In the meantime, stay the couse with the meds. They are the best route until you find some other potential alternatives.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
So here I am, another person who can’t help with the problem you’re posting about :(. But I wondered if the vet told you to give the probiotics at least two hours after giving antibiotics. Antibiotics don’t differentiate between good and bad bacteria as they do their work, so they may kill the good guys in the probiotics if the two are given together.

S. boulardii, which unfortunately you can’t give, is unaffected by antibiotics. I did a quick search here on TCS for clostridium and there were several threads. I didn’t go in-depth but it looks like a lot of them were using S. boulardii. If you haven’t already, you might do some more searching here.