Clipping nails...? Were new to the Site...

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wondering what everyone thought about how often I should be clipping Jackson's nails? (I take him to petland and have them done) Keep in mind, Jackson does not scratch ANYTHING... not his post or furniture...
Thanks,
Jayme&Jackson

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I check them weekly, some sharpen up quicker than others so I just trim as needed.

princeegrl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest to clip them when needed there really isn't an time frame since every cat sharpens its nails at different paces.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I check and trim nails as needed on a weekly basis. They scratch more when the nails are longer. And with kittens, they have to be trimmed about twice a week

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My personal preference is to let them take care of their own claws and don't clip them. Based on my research, it seems the only reason to clip them is so they don't scratch the furniture or if they don't take care of it themselves. Mine are pretty good about not scratching anything but their scratching posts, so I won't put them through it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clipping nails is easy and doesn't hurt kitty at all. We start when they are kittens by playing with their feet and getting them used to their paws being handled. Bijou and Mika get theirs trimmed every 1-2 weeks and it's no problem. In fact our daughter just laid Bijou in her lap 2 nights ago and clipped all his nails - 4 paws. He just sits there and makes no fuss.

Both cats love their cat scratcher but don't bother with furniture or rugs. We do it for them as well since sometimes the nails can grow so long they can grow into their pads or catch in clothing or blankets. Bijou got his claws caught a few months ago and when he tried to free himself ended up tearing at his claws and caused them to bleed so we now check on his nails more often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding, Its so nice to have his nails clipped, when we play I can walk away with clean hands, before all Jackson would need to do is run his little paw across our skin and it would cause us to bleed. I will keep an eye on him and monitor how much he scratches, I don't want him to drow hang-nails, or rip a nail! Thanks again!
J&J

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I keep a close eye on Stanley's nails as he doesn't really scratch anything. He has happy feet as my sister says and so when his nails get long and he starts pawing your leg, you definitely feel it! Stanley squirms a bit - any hints on how to get him better about this? - but Sadie is a doll and just sits there.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kiki_585

Hello,

I keep a close eye on Stanley's nails as he doesn't really scratch anything. He has happy feet as my sister says and so when his nails get long and he starts pawing your leg, you definitely feel it! Stanley squirms a bit - any hints on how to get him better about this? - but Sadie is a doll and just sits there.
Practice and getting him used to it will work! Also a nice tasty treat after the trimming works wonders!

Alternatively, find a way that he doesn't mind! Maybe you could trim them when he's relaxed and lying down? Just keep trying and see if you can find something that works better on his terms!

Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

I would love to clip the nails but so scared I will make them bleed to death
You should be fine with it! You only clip the tip - not near to the quick (pink bit inside the claws)

You can also buy Styptic Powder which will cease any bleeding if you do happen to catch the quick!

It is daunting at first, but it gets easier every time you do it!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We clip Trouts nails when we notice her climbing successfully up the back of our lazyboy

Actually I'm sure we should do it more often, but we fight over who does it so sometimes it doesn't get done as soon as it should.

Just make sure the kitty is all relaxed and laying down, and then usually they don' care what you do to them

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do it as a routine thing and not once every couple of months you and the cat will be fine. I've had my share of cats that hated nail clipping and would do whatever they could to get out of it - and most will sit there and complain the entire time.

But I'm in charge - not them and they can complain/protest all they want - I do not take any "stuff" from them. I had one or two cats that were nutty enough to sit in my lap and PURR the entire time I cut their nails...

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We

I was worried about it too. It's really easy to see where the dead part of the nail is that you won't make that mistake. This morning I didn't even have to burrito her again. she is REALLY getting used to it. I intend to attack her back claws later today... poor unsuspecting critter.

Oddly I think doing all that personal grooming to your cat makes you both close as you are viewes as one of the family. she grooms my fingers when she is finished with her self and I find it very sweet.

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kiki_585

Hello,

I would suggest, start to play with stanleys feet, someone else on the site had mentioned this to me...If every now and then u get him used to you touching his feet...he'll have no idea you clipping his nails....BEST OF LUCK
J&J

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

I was worried about it too. It's really easy to see where the dead part of the nail is that you won't make that mistake. This morning I didn't even have to burrito her again. she is REALLY getting used to it. I intend to attack her back claws later today... poor unsuspecting critter.

Oddly I think doing all that personal grooming to your cat makes you both close as you are viewes as one of the family. she grooms my fingers when she is finished with her self and I find it very sweet.
That makes me feel more comfortable at attempting it then Thanks.

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I used to clip my cat BamBam's nails, If I did accidently clip the wick and it started to bleed grab some pepper on your finger and dab it on kitty's nails, it doesn' hurt at all, and stops the bleeding immeadiatly!!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Also, if the kittys nails are light in color, you can see the wick making things much easier!!!
J&J

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jayme&Jackson

I used to clip my cat BamBam's nails, If I did accidently clip the wick and it started to bleed grab some pepper on your finger and dab it on kitty's nails, it doesn' hurt at all, and stops the bleeding immeadiatly!!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Also, if the kittys nails are light in color, you can see the wick making things much easier!!!
J&J
That is the trouble Skittles are whitish pink, but baby brats are Black.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had to till 3 weeks ago and the vet did it. I know baby goes back to the vet in 3 weeks. I am thinking I will take skittles to get hers done again because I figure in 4 weeks she will have her baby.