Clipper suggestions?

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried for the very first time to clip claws myself. I was very nervous but it really looked fairly easy. I got the only clippers that were available at a pet store chain, but when I clipped they were worse than before! The cuts were very ragged (is that a word?). I suppose I should file them but the vet never has to. Can someone recommend some good clippers or do you think I'm probably not doing it correctly? Is there a trick?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have nail clippers like this one, I just don't know what brand they are. Is that the style of yours?

I wonder if they were just dull, if that's why they didn't work well?
Sorry I can't be of more help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I purchased the guillotine type that has a complete hole on the end and then the guillotine lops off the nail or in my case, mangles it
I will go on a quest to find a different type. Maybe you're right and I was just unlucky and got dull clippers

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should cut them from the side since you're having difficulties, which means the guillotine cuts from side to side, not front to back. If it cuts front to back, it is pressing the nail together, which causes the ragged edges, then finally cuts them once they can't compress anymore. Don't worry too much about the damage done; cat's claws grow in layers and they shed their claws somewhat frequently, especially when it's uncomfortable (like it would be now) so the ragged edges will fall off by themselves. Make sure your cat is scratching something, then go check out the area afterward. I bet you find at least one claw husk.