Clingy cat

Ostrosss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! About 6 months ago me and my girlfriend adopted our first cat together from a shelter. She is about 6 years old now and ever since we adopted her she has been extremely clingy ie. cannot be alone when we are home and constantly needing to lay on us and needing rubs. I am not complaining at all, I’m glad she cares for us and feels safe around us. The last thing I wanted was a cat who was afraid of everyone but she is the exact opposite. I am more or less wondering if this is because of her past. The shelter paperwork said she had been adopted and returned three times over four years and I’m wondering if her behavior is indicative of a cat that has been shuffled around multiple times. Again I am not complaining, I enjoy having her cuddled up on my lap or chest every evening and her insisting on being under the covers every night at bedtime, I’m just curious if her past adoptions have affected her behavior.

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All 7 of my cats are clingy. We love it.
I can’t say for certain why they’re like that. Maybe she just loves you bunches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ostrosss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love it too! I enjoy our time together every evening, just have been curious as to why she’s clingy.

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I think you could be onto something if she was returned three times, poor dear, she may be clingy because that's rejection and she's likely so afraid of it. I guess we get what we get when we open our hearts and homes to a shelter cat. There's so much we don't know about the cat's past. Even the shelters may not know very much about the cat's past. Since you're 6 months in, I'm curious whether one year or two years later, she will have relaxed and learned you're not bringing her back. Hilarious she wants under the covers with you. Kinda puts a damper on the love life, no? It's okay for you to have some boundaries for you and your wife. Some people might think it's evil to let a cat stay outside the bedroom at night. But it's an individual choice. Share a picture if you feel so inclined. Would love to see our clingy cat lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ostrosss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The shelter had quite the report on her, it was 8 pages after all. She arrived at the shelter for the first time when she was around 1 year old and then from there adopted out multiple times. The last time she was returned after three weeks due to “extreme vocalization and throwing up” she does meow quite a bit but I always took it as her talking to us, as for the throwing up, a grain free wet food helped with that. My girlfriend fell for her and brought her home on a whim after she saw her there, hours after she had to have all but four of her teeth pulled due to advanced gingivitis. I don’t understand how any family could return such a sweet and gentle cat, but I am glad that we have her. As for her sleeping under the covers, I would never deny her that. After all, we can always close a door. Some of the clinginess subsided when we adopted our other cat shortly after, a kitten that was around 12 weeks however she does expect her nightly scratches. I have a feeling that she was either neglected or not taken care of properly over the years and that is why she has a tendency to be clingy. I’ll include a picture of her!

Attachments

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, she's a real beauty. What a sweet face awwww. You got 8 pages from the shelter wow! You sound like a great cat daddy and I'm so glad she found her forever home with you and your wife. (((precious)))