Clingy Cat and New Baby

izzybees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got a cat who loves to jump and climb all over people which has become a problem for me since I brought my son home from the hospital Sunday.

I've been breastfeeding on the living room couch since it's the most comfortable for me, but whenever it comes to the night feedings or other times where it's just me and the baby the cat is constantly wanting to climb all over me and sit on my chest (he's done that since the day he arrived on our front porch). I cant even hold the baby without this cat lying on his face!

I don't understand why he has formed such an attachment to me. I never liked him too much since day one and he doesn't even belong to me (he's my MIL's cat). But, he's chosen me and I hate it.

Is there anything I can do to keep him from climbing on me since firm "no's" and pushing him away isn't getting through to him and I'm concerned of him hurting the baby just to get to me.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats tend to love those who don't like them, since those people tend to ignore the cat and that's very attractive to cats.

Can you just shut him out the room while you're feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

izzybees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could try that next time.

I guess an hour or two of nonstop meowing is better than disturbed feedings (he's also a Siamese).

Last edited: