Clindamycin causing "explosive" bathroom issues

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Beans... Poor me for having to clean her and my house up...

Beans may have a mild infection in her Spay incision. The vet said it really didn't look too bad, but he'd rather be safe than sorry. 10 days of ClindaCure was the Rx. I reminded my veterinarian that my other cat had gotten a nasty case of diarrhea from using this medication. His response was of course, less than helpful.

So hear I sit, knee deep in, well... Trying to figure out why he didn't listen to me? The corner where the litterbox sits looks like a drive by shooting took place. I knew there would be an issue and he still insisted on THIS medication.

I got her to eat a little bit of plain yogurt mixed with her food last night. Since then she won't even look at the yogurt. So my only option is to take her off of it until I can get something else on Monday. I'm not sure why she's so turned off by the yogurt. I guess it soured her stomach.

Btw, I'm unemployed and have about $2 to my name so probiotics, etc are not possible until I get another unemployment check. It will probably be cheaper to just switch the antibiotic anyway.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have that same reaction to Clindamycin!  You must insist that she NEVER be prescribed this antibiotic again and refuse the prescription.  It's sad that many vets don't listen to the owners.  I would ask for a refund or credit toward a new medication when you call the vet tomorrow. If he insists on this particular med, then I'd insist on telling him that I'll be looking for a new vet.  Be sure they put in your kitty's file to not use this med again.

To help firm up stools, you can add a bit of plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to some wet food.  An acidophilus tablet ground up into wet food also helps.  You can get those in the supplement section of the pharmacy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Pumpkin was for "stopped up", or what my country father would call "foundered" kitties?:confused::D

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Pumpkin was for "stopped up", or what my country father would call "foundered" kitties?
Here's an excellent resource to both answer your question and, (if you're someone who can handle "more than 140 characters"
) will give you an superb understanding of what's going on inside your cat!
Dietary Fiber
Pumpkin or Other Winter Squash – A traditional vet recommendation and a good one, plain unspiced canned pumpkin can help relieve either constipation or diarrhea as it normalizes the situation. The beneficial gut bacteria, when properly fed, are good at normalizing the bowel environment. Some cats report that Libby's plain canned pumpkin is the preferred brand but canned pumpkin does not agree with all cats. Baked winter squash can be fed and your cat may have preferences as to type of squash, or baby food winter squash can be used. Use small amounts mixed into several of the daily meals, a small amount being 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. Then monitor the results. Remember this is food for the gut bacteria, not the cat himself. If using canned pumpkin, freeze the can contents in ice cube trays, pop the frozen cubes into a freezer container, then thaw a cube at a time in a little glass jar in the fridge

http://www.felineconstipation.org/prevention.html#FiberorPrebiotics