Clicking sounds?

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whenever Peanut is into something he shouldn't be, I hiss at him or say "Hey!" very sharply- and he will make kind of a clicking/rattling noise as he moves away from whatever he's after. Is he talking back? I'm rather amused by that, though honestly, if even the CAT talks back...

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Is your cat doing something like this? (that's me making the kissing sounds, btw)

sometimes cats will 'chatter' at something it cannot get. My cat likes to chatter at the birds out side or at a feather wand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, exactly that! So I suppose he's just mourning the loss of what he's not supposed to have in the first place, then!

Your kitty is absolutely gorgeous, by the way

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thanks

I am sure there are other reasons why cats would chirp or chatter like that, but from my research via google, that's what I found and seemed to fit Monet's behavior.

BTW, I love Peanut's markings on the face. So cute! looks like peanut butter smeared over his mouth lol

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think most of my cats have chattered at birds, etc. My male now is the loudest I've seen. He loves to watch birds or sqirrels and chatters his teeth at them. If I go to the window and make the chattering/clicking noise, he's THERE and looking for the prey, chattering along with me.

I read in a cat behavior book that it's the "death bite" a cat WANTS to make, but is frustrated since he can't get the prey. And I was always told the cats were "talking" to the birds and trying to call them down. The death bite theory makes more sense to me, but all I DO know is that my cat means there is something he wants to kill out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, thank you Draco! He does rather look like he's been in the peanut butter jar, doesn't he? I'm sure he would be in a red-hot second if I'd allow it...

Crystal, shortly after I posted this thread I asked another friend of mine on Facebook and she said that to them it sounds like bones crunching.
I sure hope that's not the case!