Clicker training

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After last weekend when I took Gizzy to the Vet and he got so stressed and freaked out, I also was freaking out since the Vet had suggested I let him go (which I would never do!) I wasn’t sure what to do to help Gizzy adjust to his new home and how to help him socialize with other humans besides us. I researched everything that I could and came across Clicker training and figured nothing could be any worse than not trying to help Gizzy so why not. Today is day 2 of clicker training and I cannot get over how quickly he took to this! I started yesterday with just clicking and treating for about 5 minutes and then he was bored and I put it away and continued to read. Before I went to bed I introduced a  brand new bright orange pencil to see if I could get him to touch it and then click and treat, after 5 minutes he not only would touch it but if I moved the pencil he followed to touch to get that click and treat! Today after a few treats I tried just getting him to come to me when I called within a few seconds I could go across the house and he came running!! I was super excited and since last weekend after his stressful encounter with the vet anytime someone came over he would start hissing and run and hide so I thought well let’s see how he does with a visitor so I had my mom come over he has only seen her a few times so when she came in and sat down I observed Gizzy first and he didn’t even seem to notice a new person in the house so I had her see if he would come to her when called he did come but very slow and was eyeing the room for I think a quick retreat if needed however he took the treat from her and then sniffed her feet a little so I got out his favorite toy ( a pole with a plush toy, feathers and a bell hanging from a string) he played with her just fine, when she reached down to pet him he arched his back I was worried he would bite her but she clicked and treated and he played with her and let her pet him with no further issues. So far I am very happy with his progress and think tomorrow we will try a short car trip and see how he does. I am curious if anyone else has used clicker training and what kind of results they have had with it.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Clicker training is amazing and works very well with a food-driven cat. I started it with our cat to get him to stop shredding my legs when I was getting his food ready and to come when called. He learned "sit" instantly, follows a number of commands and looks forward to his daily session.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for sharing, he is really learning quickly and I am amazed by how easy it is! I just want to do everything I can to raise him right and make sure all of his kitten needs are met

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!  I am impressed to learn about your experience with clicker training.  I bought a book and a clicker, but I've never used it with any of my cats.  Now I want to give it a try.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am on my 6th day of clicker training, Gizzy has respond at an amazing pace. I was having a hard time trying to get him to sit however my dog Harley would sit every time I said "Gizzy sit" as soon as Gizzy saw Harley sit, get a click and then treat he copied and now when it's just Gizzy he sits on command. My favorite so far is when I say sit and then I say picking up he stays perfectly still and waits to be picked up! :D