Clicker Training Problems

ldy71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently in the process of clicker training two kittens (a brother and sister who are five-months-old). The sister is a genius and is picking everything up almost effortlessly, but her brother on the other hand just can't seem to process anything other than "sit."

He seems to not pay attention to anything other than the treats in my hand. I've been trying to teach him "[jump] up/down," and although we've gone through the motions over 100 times, he still just looks at me and meows whenever I say "up/down."

I've done everything the same for him as I've done for his sister, and I just don't see how I could be doing anything wrong since it's worked so great for her. I love the little guy, as he's a cuddle/purr machine and loves to talk to me constantly, but is it possible that he's just too stubborn/dumb for clicker training?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although I have never personally clicker trained any of my cats I thought this thread about clicker training a kitten might give you some helpful information and advice:
Clicker Training A Kitten

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you doing separate training sessions? From what I've read you need to do them separately, the brother may be just letting his sister do all the work. :)

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, they will be aware of the treats. . .that's the whole process. My 4 month old will do most anything I ask *IF* I have treats in hand. She's great at the training sessions, but outside of that kid of does what she wants. Ha. But form what I've read that's normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldy71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you doing separate training sessions? From what I've read you need to do them separately, the brother may be just letting his sister do all the work. :)
I am doing them separately.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah so that's why I have the issue. With my cats open door means "food" and they all come. So I can't even clicker train the cats at all.