Cleo -- 16 years old

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat named Cleo that is somewhere around 15-16 years old.  i got her in 2000 but she was already an adult cat..  She was feral and still is, but she  does really well with my husband and i.  We are her only people.  My kids have never seen her because she is invisible when people come to our house.

My problem with Cleo is that she has quit eating.  Before you ask, her teeth are fine.  She ate taste of the wild for years and then a few weeks ago just quit..  Her hair coat suffered and i tried everything to entice her to eat.  She lost a lot of weight.  We thought she was getting ready to pass and just tried to make her comfortable..  i ended up trying a canned food called Sheba which she has actually been eating, but I don't like it because of it's nutritional value in terms of an older cat.  She is looking better now and has even gained a little weight.  But she is NOT where she needs to be nutritional wise.

So that brings me up to present with her.  I have fed raw before so i am fixing to start feeding her raw again and see if that helps her.  it's been a few years since feeding them raw and i can't remember if she was one of the cats that like raw food or not.

But anyway, I went to the health food store today and bought her some items...

I bought:

Cranberry capsules for urinary track health
Taurine for her eyes
Fish Oil for her hair coat
Super B Complex Vitamins
Brewers yeast as a sub for Dulse, which is seaweed
Calcium Lactate as a sub for bone meal
Kelp capsules
Gelatine
psyllium Husk for fiber
Brown range free eggs
chicken thighs
chicken livers

I could add some other things but this is the basics to make sure she gets a full healthy meal.

I also have some salmon oil here at the house, so i didn't buy that.

They were out of bone meal and Dulse at the health food store.  And walmart does not carry these item in our area.  The guy that runs the health food store told me that brewers yeast is a great sub for Dulse (sea-weed) and that Calcium lactate is a good sub for bone meal.  He is an advocate of a raw diet for animals and he knew that this is for cat food.

I went ahead and bought those two items, but I'm fixing to do a little research and make sure these items are okay for cleo. 
I am going to pulverize the food because she does better with pate type food.  
Wish me luck..  Fixing to fix her up a batch after i do a little research on brewers yeast and Calcium lactate.  i know animals can eat both these items but I need to know they are a good sub for what I need.  If they are, I'm making a batch tonight...  I'm post some pics after this is competed if she will allow me to take pics of her.  She is a little camera shy.

Jenn

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made enough for three weeks.  It look awesome.

I used my Ninja Optima blender and it pureed the meat perfect!!  It is a smooth texture -- like a fruit smoothie!!

But she would not eat it.  she turned her little picky nose up at it.  To get her to eat it, I opened up a can of Sheba and poured the juice over the raw and she is eating it up now.

She appears to like it with the sheba juice.

I have 13 cats.  The other are begging for it.....  I gave Jimmy some and he loves it.  he ate two large tablespoons in about 15 seconds. 

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she is eating her raw diet now with gusto.

I am mixing 3/4 raw with 1/4 sheba.  I actually think her hair coat looks better after just two days.

I am feeding her 3 times a day and she is eating approx 2.5 to 3 oz at each meal.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is great.  Cleo now has to watch me mix the sheba in with her raw to eat it.......  She is so smart.

However, since the raw is soupier than the sheba, she eats it all first.  Probably about  2 large tablespoons per serving and she gets three servings per day.