Clearing out my wardrobe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

A laugh is always good though - you never know, I might love it all!!

Yeah, sure, I'll keep an eye out for you! Any specific kind of style? I can pop to the vintage shops over the weekend and have a look for you if you like?!

I love all colours, you know me!! Believe it or not, I do have pink in my wardrobe too - quite a bit actually!
I love brown, black and white too!
I have been shopping today so have thrown out even more things!

I will be tackling the box under the bed soon too!

I just want something pretty or feminine in around a size 12. I am either a 10 or a 12 but have big boobs so if it's old sizes a 12 would be better.

I knew you'd come through for me, you vintage queen!

What would you say your style was?

poisonedpenny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently went through my wardrobe. I moved into a smaller closet space this year, so it was beginning to be a real hassle to have to paw through all of the clothes. I took everything that was damaged or didn't fit (and would never fit) and put those in bags, took everything that was made of cool fabrics, or were sentimental (could be made into pillows or whatever) into a box. This was a month ago, and I still have three trashbags full of clothes in my closet, and a big box that needs to go to the attic.
Well, hey, at least I got the process started right? lol.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaleetha

Do I try to take them back to the store or give them to Good Will? They are brandnew -- although the tags are gone (they probably won't take them back). I really appreciate the gift (they probably all cost about $50... but I wish she'd quit buying me clothes because of all the reasons listed above minus white....
If the store doesn't take them back, sell them on eBay! I've done that before. List it as new WOT (Without Tags). Most sellers remove the tags now because stores began to get clothes back that were purchased through eBay at a lower price then the store. Oops!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever seen the show clean sweep? They are very inspiring. I find it VERY difficult to get rid of things. To say, "Choose 5 shirts to get rid of" doesn't work for me. But saying, "Choose which 10 t-shirts you will keep", and then donating/pitching the others...that is easier.

I currently have about 5 items I just couldn't give up, but am pretty sure I won't ever wear again. So I hung them in a back corner, and will decide in a month or two to donate them!

I am getting the strong feeling that I should go pull out the size 10 jeans I was wearing the night I met dh, and get rid of them. I know I will never be that small again, and it is really stupid to keep them. Maybe....

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I organized my closet by colors to and I was surprised to see how much pink stuff I have!!
Unfortunately for me I went from working in an office to working outside so I can't wear more of my clothes for that reason. I have some to Goodwill, some to a resale shop and next time sis comes if she could wear some of this stuff se can take it. Lucky for me not too much "dressy" clothes-but lots of shoes I won't be wearing for a while!!

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's a question for you though.... my aunt gave me some clothes for graduation. They are white... which makes them see through... not my style, my size....

Do I try to take them back to the store or give them to Good Will? They are brandnew -- although the tags are gone (they probably won't take them back). I really appreciate the gift (they probably all cost about $50... but I wish she'd quit buying me clothes because of all the reasons listed above minus white....
That's always difficult. I faced the same problem with a friend who gave me clothes and we just had different tastes and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. My mother also buys me clothes on occasion, however she tells me to return them if I don't like them (but I never do out of guilt).

I would sell the unwanted, like new items on ebay or like someone else mentioned, hold a clothes swap party! One's trash is another's treasure.You could also tell your aunt that you appreciate her thoughtfulness, but that the clothes don't look good on you or that they don't fit well and ask if she kept the receipt/tags/or remembers where she bought them.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest problem with getting rid of clothes is that I will have to accept that I will never be as skinny as I used to be
. I keep them all and say, one day I'll fit into that again. But it never seems to get to that. And if I throw them all out, then what will I have to hope for?!

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

I would try to take them back first or ring their customer services line and ask for their advice.

First and foremost, they were meant as a gift for you so you should at least try to reap the benefits.

Does your aunt know you want to take them back?
No, she doesn't know I want to take them back.
She did say I could take them back if I wanted to, but I don't want to be tacky either and hurt her feelings. Calling the customer line is a really good idea.

The thing is, she also bought me a LitterMaid plus litter box... I feel like a heel wanting to take these clothes back!

The ebay suggestion is a really good one, except I don't sell anything on ebay... I haven't the slightest idea how to go about it! (And my aunt frequents ebay!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, she doesn't know I want to take them back.
She did say I could take them back if I wanted to, but I don't want to be tacky either and hurt her feelings. Calling the customer line is a really good idea.

The thing is, she also bought me a LitterMaid plus litter box... I feel like a heel wanting to take these clothes back!

The ebay suggestion is a really good one, except I don't sell anything on ebay... I haven't the slightest idea how to go about it! (And my aunt frequents ebay!)
I dont think it would be tacky to take it back.

Embaressing as it may be to tell her that you dont like the clothes she picked out, it would be worse to keep them or to sell them at a lower price than their retail value.

I'd just be honest with her, or tell her they dont fit or that a seam broke and that you have to take them back.