Derby is almost 5 months old, and typically eats 1/4 cup of food a day. On Friday, her pet insurance kicked in, so of course she got sick On Saturday, she began to vomit and stopped eating, and has not eaten independently since. Sunday she began to have diarrhea, which has continued through today. I scheduled an appt with the vet for Monday (yesterday), but she seemed to be feeling a bit better and was playing, so they vet said we could hold off. She still wasn't eating, and yesterday we had to start force feeding her formula with a syringe. Today we go to the vet, and they took an x-ray and saw that she had gas build up solely in her small intestines. The vet thinks she has an obstruction. She does have an interest in eating and is begging like usual when I cook, but won't actually eat. She is drinking water. The vet gave her fluids and a laxative and sent us home to repeat the laxative every six hours and to try to feed her through the syringe. We're giving her formula, nutritional gel, chicken baby food, and we're going to puree up some of her food as well. Tomorrow she goes back to the vet for another x-ray to see if it's moved, and he said that if she isn't back to normal by the end of the week, we will do surgery. I have questions: - Has anyone had experience with getting an obstruction to pass with just laxatives and not needing surgery? I don't want to put her through that, and also, good god that vet bill. - I feel like waiting a full week from when she first stopped eating is a lot. We're going to try to get her to eat 1/2 the volume she usually does and we're tracking every ml of the syringe to make sure, but I'm nervous. - If we do have to have the surgery, what should we expect in terms of her recovery and the cost? Thank you in advance!