clear vomit in mornings

hawaii500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI guys,

My cat has been throwing up recently.  It was about once every three weeks, but just recently has been more frequent 3-4 days.

It's almost always a clear liquid and at nearly the exact same time in the morning.

He's eating a rotation of can food (slow going but also occasional raw), having changed from mostly dry last year.   I noticed in the transition if he had some dry to snack on at

night he wouldn't throw up in the morning.  Could be a coincidence though.

I've read clear vomiting is common in cats with CKD, which though not confirmed,  is a possibility for my cat  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/318839/possible-kidney-issues. 

I hope it's related to his diet, but I'm not sure what I could change at this point, he's tried basically everything available here.  Waiting top speak to the vet, but any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually vomiting clear liquid only in the morning is usually related to excess stomach acid.  That can go along with CKD but cats who don't have CKD sometimes have this issue. 

You could try giving him his last meal of the day later.  When you were giving some kibble as snacks did you leave a little out overnight?  If so that could explain why your cat wasn't doing it then.  You could ask your vet about giving the antacid Pepcid.  You won't the regular strength regular Pepcid not extra strength or Complete Pepcid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hawaii500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I would leave a small amount of dry  and he would have a few snacks on it overnight.    I usually give him his last meal right before bed, so I can't really make it later. 

Thanks, I'll  mention the antacid to my vet. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hawaii500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took cat in this morning after he seemed like he was having some digestive issues last night.  He didn't seem too perturbed, but was swallowing more than usual and made some sort of hicuppy noises. 

The vet said his intestines felt a little enlarged in one part which could possibly be inflammation?  Having some blood tests done and testing also for pancreatitis.  He also has some anti-nausea tablets 'cerenia'  which he chomped on while I way trying to put it on his tongue spilled a bit onto his fur - agh! - think he got most of it.  He seems quite normal though. so don't think there's terrible nausea or anything.

So assuming something doesn't show up in the tests, I guess there may be some dietary issues.  She recommended the standard digestive/sensitive commercial foods which may make a difference.  I guess he might have eaten something foreign?  I don't know if that would cause this issues.  There's not a lot of time to go in detail during the appointments, so if anyone has experience with any of this It would be great to hear it.

He has a few small cavities, which I'm not sure anything could be done about.   I'm attempting to brush to no avail so far (though he loves the toothpaste just no the brush!).  I wish there was more options, though I assuming they would let me know if there was something I could.

Anyhow,  thanks if anyone can add any information.  Always appreciated,

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat ate something odd at the start of the year. It tends to cause quick and violent vomiting rather than clear vomit once a day. If it's in the early hours of the morning my IBD kitty used to do that. It was the start of his IBD (but I didn't know at the time). It started out being once every few months, then once every few weeks then suddenly it was once a day, always around 4-6am. Sometimes getting up and giving him some food helped, but thickened intestines can be a sign of IBD too. It's not curable but very manageable.

Keep us updated with what the vet finds out!