Clear oderless discharge coming from cat butt

Punkyismybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not asking for medical advice, I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to this.

So tonight when I was brushing out my sweet little punky I noticed that she was leaking a clear odorless fluid from her butt. From what I researched it said it could be anything from anal glands to an infection to a fistula to a urinary blockage 😰. I always thought anal gland problems were supposed to stink and this is odorless so idk and was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar with their fur babies. I'm praying that's it's nothing or at worst she'll just need to have her anal glands expressed. She has no other symptoms and is playful, eating, and acting normal. Well wait, actually I have been giving her this new likable tuna treat (it's dark brown colored) for the past 3 days and it gives her real dark brown diarrhea and turds so idk if that has anything to do with it. I probably shouldn't give her that treat anymore since it gives her diarrhea (even though she really likes it). I love this cat more than I love a lot of things and any time there could be something wrong always scares me so much 😮💨😪

Fen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have expressed many anal glands on cats and dogs at work, and yes it absolutely reeks! If her anal glands need expressing, you might smell a fishy ammonia like smell coming from her behind.
It certainly isn't odourless, however it could be an over production of anal lubricant due to having an upset tummy from the treats. It seems to correlate?
I Agree with Furballsmom that you should cut the treat out entirely and don't give her anything new for now. Stick to her normal food and avoid treats, see how she goes.
If it doesn't clear up, in a few days a vet visit is probably in order.
Goof luck! Hopefully it clears up after the treats are removed from her diet ❤

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It still could be a part of her having diarrhea from the treats. Eventually the diarrhea turns clear because you are cleaned out , just like a colonoscopy prep. Definitely stop the treats! Toddlers can't have something that may harm them and we must be strong and deny them. Same with cats. You can find something else that won't bother her so much. , make sure she is drinking plenty of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Punkyismybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:
Thank you guys for the advice! I think it may have been the treats as well causing the weird butt stuff. But now I noticed something else. When I checked on her through the night It looked like the fluid that was coming out of her butt was like draining down into her vagina and now her vagina is excreting this thick mucous like discharge. It can't be pyometra - she was just spayed in July!!! I've dealt w a pyo before with my other cat and the discharge was a lot different than this, it was distinct white pus and wasn't as thick as what punky is showing. I dont think what I'm seeing on punky is pus, its more of a thick mucous. I've seen this before on punky actually a few times and that actually is what drove us to spay her thinking it was hormonal or something. This is the first time I seen it again since spaying. Maybe all this butt stuff gave her vaginitis??? Maybe her lady parts are just sensitive and prone? Idk but it's stressing me. I just want my sweet baby to be healthiest and happiest. I'm keeping a close eye on her. If it is the p word all I can afford at the moment is the antibiotics. The soonest I can afford an exam is on the third. Hopefully I'm just overthinking all of this because I'm scared!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We don't know that your cat has pyometra, so don't panic. However, the third is not that far away and I would take her to the vet. There is such a thing as an incomplete spay which leave a small amount of tissue behind, but it is rare for that to occur. If there is an infection you can start to treat it. In the meantime, watch for behavior changes such as not eating, or seeming listless.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are reluctant to take her to the vets, call them and ask if you collect some of this discharge could they analyze it. If so, make sure you follow whatever instructions they give you to preserve it until you get the sample to them. It may not be an option, but it can't hurt to ask. If that is possible, it would be less expensive than a vet appt.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our cats had clear mucus coming out of her butt after she ate a plant, got pretty sick, and had diarrhea. She was fine a day later, after a vet trip and Cerenia. Apparently the mucus can come from inflammation. Given that Punky gets diarrhea from the treats, maybe the mucus is (as di and bob di and bob suggests) kind of the next step after the diarrhea, as it was for our Edwina.