Cleaning Vomit in Carpet

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The carpet and underlying padding in my house is very old and is in bad shape. I cannot use a steam cleaner on it as it could destroy it. I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to clean vomit out of old carpet.

Here's a couple methods I've looked at:

1) Clean it immediately with enzyme cleaner using old rags to soak up excess moisture.

2) Let it sit until completely dry. Use vacuum cleaner to vacuum bulk of it up. Clean remaining (smaller) stain with enzyme cleaner and rags as mentioned above.

3) Purchase small Wet-Vac or similar to vacuum it up immediately. Use enzyme cleaner to clean it and Wet-Vac to soak up remaining moisture.

Any thoughts?

I do realize vomiting is not normal. I care for several cats in a large house. Some have various health issues so vomiting is normal for them as part of their disorder. I'm considering putting plastic (like carpet runners) on my living room floor and removing it when I have guests.

Any suggestions?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The carpet and underlying padding in my house is very old and is in bad shape. I cannot use a steam cleaner on it as it could destroy it. I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to clean vomit out of old carpet.

1) Clean it immediately with enzyme cleaner using old rags to soak up excess moisture.

2) Let it sit until completely dry. Use vacuum cleaner to vacuum bulk of it up. Clean remaining (smaller) stain with enzyme cleaner and rags as mentioned above.

3) Purchase small Wet-Vac or similar to vacuum it up immediately. Use enzyme cleaner to clean it and Wet-Vac to soak up remaining moisture.

Any thoughts?

I do realize vomiting is not normal. I care for several cats in a large house. Some have various health issues so vomiting is normal for them as part of their disorder. I'm considering putting plastic (like carpet runners) on my living room floor and removing it when I have guests.

Any suggestions?
On the contrary, vomiting is quite normal for many cats. Cats sometimes eat quickly and regurgitate their food. They are rather famous for this, as a matter of fact! I occasionally deal with this. All of the methods you've listed are excellent for cleaning. And I am not a betting person, but I'd be willing to guess my carpet and padding are older than yours. I've kept them precisely because cats DO vomit and sometimes older cats will have other accidents on carpeting. I've used Nature's Miracle-Just For Cats for years with great success. And for those really bad accidents, I bought the Bissell SpotBot-"Pet" robotic shampooer. It goes deep to get it all out and used with the recommended cleaners, does a very nice job. It will pay for itself many times over if you have older/ill cats in your family. It works quickly and alerts you when it's done. It's very easy to load and to clean. I recommend it highly and others here at TCS would as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think the ideas are all good. I do know that there are times things I have used have not always taken out the coloring that comes with cat foods, so once dry a discoloration was still there. Depending on your carpeting and color, and the color of the cat food, I have found using hydrogen peroxide can help to remove any leftover staining. Of course, you have to test it in an inconspicuous area first.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always used Resolve the 10 yrs in this apt. Cannot tell it has been thrown up on.. probably every inch. Use toilet paper and get as much as you can off then spray the whole area. Directions say not to saturate but I do. Then let it sit

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually go with #2, but pick up the most of it, leaving the rest to dry. I then go over it many times with a good vacum with a rotating beater bar (brush head). I have found this leaves minimal staining as opposed to immediately trying to clean it up and scrub the carpet.

Arnold is especially bad for throwing up. He will gorge himself because.......you just never know when you might be able to eat next. Then throw up an entire can of 3 dollar cat food!

Good thing he is cute or he would be out the door!

20210613_165512.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06
OK, you said Bissell SpotBot-"Pet robotic. Can you give a link to one you like and maybe why you selected that one?

Are you using a "hands free" version?
Amazon.com - SpotBot Pet handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner with Deep Reach Technology 33N8A - Household Vacuums

Always hopeful. Can I train a cat to use this?
https://www.bissell.com/bissell-spo...b5133795046016013e5f577d68ad64d8&gclsrc=3p.ds (Sorry for the long URL) and if you buy direct you can get 10% off right now. It can be used robotically (set and forget-it beeps when it's done) or hand-held using the hose you see on the unit.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d like to make a small clarification here. Vomiting in cats is common. But never normal. Regurgitation isn’t normal. It might be frequent. It might be common. But it should be addressed the same as vomiting.

That out of the way, I have a small army of Bissell products including the Spot Bot. It is the one I use the least. I recommend a wet vac handheld like the Pet Stain Eraser for quick cleanups.

BISSELL, 20037 Pet Stain Eraser Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner, 2019 Version Amazon.com: BISSELL, 20037 Pet Stain Eraser Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner, 2019 Version: Home & Kitchen

But I also recommend a good wet vac upright like the Revolution.

Bissell ProHeat 2X Revolution Max Clean Pet Pro Full-Size Carpet Cleaner, 1986, with Antibacterial Formula and Bonus 3" Tough Stain Tool Amazon.com: Bissell ProHeat 2X Revolution Max Clean Pet Pro Full-Size Carpet Cleaner, 1986, with Antibacterial Formula and Bonus 3" Tough Stain Tool: Home & Kitchen

The upright does a quicker and better job than the handheld. But it’s bigger. Heavier. Bulkier. It will leave a bigger wet spot than the handheld. But it will also clean in fewer passes than the handheld or the Spot Bot. The upright has an express clean setting which doesn’t put out as much water. It won’t soak to the padding, and it dries within an hour. I sometimes put a pee pad upside down over a wet spot and dance on top of it to absorb extra moisture and prevent traffic through the wet spot.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually go with #2, but pick up the most of it, leaving the rest to dry. I then go over it many times with a good vacum with a rotating beater bar (brush head). I have found this leaves minimal staining as opposed to immediately trying to clean it up and scrub the carpet.

Arnold is especially bad for throwing up. He will gorge himself because.......you just never know when you might be able to eat next. Then throw up an entire can of 3 dollar cat food!

Good thing he is cute or he would be out the door!

View attachment 387321
You KNOW you don't mean that. Just LOOK at that FACE!!! :loveeyes:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i do #3 in the single bedroom apartment i live in. using a small wet/dry vac with the cleaner or a lil dish soap mixed with water but i only have graycie to clean up after though. bisell makes a decent portable wet/dry(for spot cleaning) vac i bought for my mom before worked pretty good from what i remember :lol:really good on the occasional coffee stains in the front seat of a car

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This may be an odd suggestion, but we had really old carpeting in my old house (we put it in back in 1980) with a pug who occasionally had accidents, and we used shaving cream. Good old inexpensive white shaving cream. That and a stiff scrub brush took ANY spot out of the carpeting, dog stains, old spills, we used it all the time. Put on the shaving cream, scrub into the spot, let it sit for about a half hour, wipe it up and vacuum.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Any thoughts?

Any suggestions?
For vomit/ poop / urine I use scoe. It is the only odor eliminator I have ever used that works. In a carpet wipe up as much vomit as possible first. Shampoo a bit if needed then fully saturate all layers with scoe with a towel underneath and let it dry vacuum if need later. Badly damaged carpets and pads should be thrown out. Tile or wood floors are better for this.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Fortunately when Carleton spits up it is more liquid than food so I use method #1 with Bounty, (the quicker picker upper), paper towels. I try to clean it up ASAP although I can't always be home when it happens so then I use method #2.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve had good luck getting stains out by spraying on a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. I pick up solids with a paper towel, spray on the vinegar/water, let sit a few minutes, and then scrub the area with a wet cloth or paper towel. Then I go over it again with a wet cloth just to dilute the vinegar further, although I’ve never had a problem with it discoloring the carpet.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Any thoughts?

Any suggestions?
i purchased a it saved my sanity! i keep it charged and it really works. i also get an additive cleaner but the sales girl said hydrogen peroxide works! i ordered it on qvc
Pet Stain Eraser™ Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner
Image result for Pet Stain Eraser™ Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner

It's easy to clean carpet, upholstery, stairs, area rugs, auto interiors, and more with the cordless convenience of the BISSELL® Pet Stain Eraser™.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions.

My carpet and padding are 34 years old. In certain areas, it's so worn that the cleaner goes right through to the wood. I worry about the wood staying wet and growing mold.

Anyway... the responses here made me remember that I have an old Bissell Little Green carpet cleaner. I got it secondhand for free about 10 years ago but didn't really like it. But it sucks up liquid so I decided to try it again the other day and it seems to work ok. I'm thinking of getting a Wet Vac though. I should be able to vacuum up vomit with that and it would have more suction to get the moisture out of the carpet, padding and wood.

I swear I can't go one day without some cat vomiting. Sometimes, if I'm really lucky, two or three of them will vomit in one day. Always on the carpet or a piece of furniture. It's really special when they nail the bed. I need to do like my auntie did and put a shower curtain on the bedspread and then put an old sheet or blanket over that. Although, with these cats, I should probably just use a tarp. I'd like to throw a tarp on the carpet. That wouldn't make me crazy would it? :lol:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions.

My carpet and padding are 34 years old. In certain areas, it's so worn that the cleaner goes right through to the wood. I worry about the wood staying wet and growing mold.

Anyway... the responses here made me remember that I have an old Bissell Little Green carpet cleaner. I got it secondhand for free about 10 years ago but didn't really like it. But it sucks up liquid so I decided to try it again the other day and it seems to work ok. I'm thinking of getting a Wet Vac though. I should be able to vacuum up vomit with that and it would have more suction to get the moisture out of the carpet, padding and wood.

I swear I can't go one day without some cat vomiting. Sometimes, if I'm really lucky, two or three of them will vomit in one day. Always on the carpet or a piece of furniture. It's really special when they nail the bed. I need to do like my auntie did and put a shower curtain on the bedspread and then put an old sheet or blanket over that. Although, with these cats, I should probably just use a tarp. I'd like to throw a tarp on the carpet. That wouldn't make me crazy would it? :lol:
Of course not. You just want to keep your house clean.
When one of my beloved cats became incontinent, a friend told me about waterproof sheets. I got one on amazon. Not expensive and it is peace of mind. It goes directly on the mattress and then you put the mattress pad and sheet. It's washable, too. That friend puts those 'puppy pads' on her bed just in case. But a tarp or shower curtain would work, too. Your cats can't help it, but you can help yourself and them this way.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When one of my beloved cats became incontinent, a friend told me about waterproof sheets. I got one on amazon. Not expensive and it is peace of mind. It goes directly on the mattress and then you put the mattress pad and sheet. It's washable, too. That friend puts those 'puppy pads' on her bed just in case. But a tarp or shower curtain would work, too. Your cats can't help it, but you can help yourself and them this way.
i have had many sleepless nites with placide and diarrhea in the bed on the carpet and flung on the walls! i cant live w/o a waterproof mattress pad. it was relentless and everywhere. but that little bissel cleans it right up and fast! and sucks the dirty water back up. i used to hav to wait 24 hrs for everything to dry up. now it is like it never happened immediately! i DO think the bissell cleaner and the boost is a key! hydrogen peroxide based cleaner. no other cleaner that i spent hours on my hand and knees using ever worked. i even called some companies and was told it was the food additives that stained. the sheets i would just toss in the machine and put a new one one. i STILL keep an old towel on top of the bedsheet cause she sometimes has smears. the Visbiome stopped the diarrhea amen for that cause i could not pill her