Cleaning mineral deposits off Drinkwell Platinum Fountain?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was sure there's been threads on this before, but I'm not having luck finding what I'm looking for when searching.

I have a Drinkwell Platinum I purchased probably 3 - 4 months ago. It has mineral deposits built up on the spot where the water falls into the bowl itself. I normally clean it w/ vinegar water & the special Drinkwell cleaning brushes, however there is still some build up there in that one spot that doesn't seem to want to come off easily. I'm also concerned about some of the nooks & crannies not being cleaned properly & developing build up. (I don't use bottled water, I use tap water in the fountain)

Can I use commercial products aimed for removing mineral deposits,without risking harm to my kitties? As of right now, I'm ending up soaking my fountain for hours on end in vinegar water, tying up the sink forever.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use only Arrowhead Mountain Spring water so have never had mineral deposit issues.

You can get those pipe-cleaner-type things that they use for fish tanks and they should have some in the cat sections (but didn't when I was there last) to clean out those impossible places to reach. They come in all different lengths and sizes - I found the perfect size for my Drinkwell Platinum!

I wouldn't use commercial products at all on the drinkwell. What if you tried using spring or distilled water? That way there will be no mineral deposits.

Also, are you changing the filter every 2 to 4 weeks? That's something I always do as well (even though the water is so clean being spring water, drrrrrr).

I hope one of these things might be an option. I know the fish tank air filter cleaners will work (remember, all difference sizes, make sure you get the right size for your drinkwell; take a few over to the store's Drinkwell Platinum and see how it fits.

Warmly,

Julie O'

Originally Posted by white cat lover

I was sure there's been threads on this before, but I'm not having luck finding what I'm looking for when searching.

I have a Drinkwell Platinum I purchased probably 3 - 4 months ago. It has mineral deposits built up on the spot where the water falls into the bowl itself. I normally clean it w/ vinegar water & the special Drinkwell cleaning brushes, however there is still some build up there in that one spot that doesn't seem to want to come off easily. I'm also concerned about some of the nooks & crannies not being cleaned properly & developing build up. (I don't use bottled water, I use tap water in the fountain)

Can I use commercial products aimed for removing mineral deposits,without risking harm to my kitties? As of right now, I'm ending up soaking my fountain for hours on end in vinegar water, tying up the sink forever.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two drinkwell platinums for around a year now and have never once washed it by hand.

I throw it in the dishwasher, and I'm done with it.

Its squeaky clean and no deposits on it. Dishwashers are using chemicals, hot sprays, and in some cases steam to get into every nook and cranny, so might as well use the technology.

I replace the charcoal filters monthly, but I wash them with scorchingly hot water weekly along w/ the outside of the motor which is how often I toss the drinkwell in the dishwasher. The top tower part fits upside down in the bottom rack, and the big bowl part also inverted in the top rack, the motor long plastic lever and inner shroud I toss in the tableware basket part, and the heater has never damaged the plastic. The water reservoir part (minus the lid that I toss in the dishwasher too) never really needs washing in my experience (never gets slimy or anything), just put in some hot water, shake it, and let it dry.

For water, I just refill it using the water filter built into my Samsung refrigerator. Cheap and effective.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the plain plastic one, but I soak it it hot soapy water with some vinegar in it for about 30 mins, then scrub and no deposits are left.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We have the hardest water I've ever encountered, and yet I've never had a problem with calcium build-up in the Drinkwell. Only slime if I let it go too long. I LOVE Ducman's idea of tossing it in the dishwasher, but not sure if my kitties would be willing to wait overnight for their fountain to be put back together
. Normally I just wash it in hot, soapy water, using the scratchy side of the sponge for most of the parts, then get it back together as quickly as possible while everyone hovers around waiting for the water to start flowing again.

My question is...does anyone else have problems taking the motor apart? I have a heck of a time with that. It's a constant struggle, so often I just clean the outside of it. Besides, last time I finally got it apart, there was absolutely nothing dirty on the inside. My Q-tip came out squeaky clean!!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A butterknife helps to pop it open.

I have multiple water fountains at different places in the house, so when one is getting cleaned, they can go to the other two. *shrugs*

Probably overkill, but I figured the more times they walk by a fountain, the more likely they are reminded to take a sip, and since part of their diet is dry food, thought it a worthwhile investment. Wish they had models with UV filters though, as that would eliminate the "slime" issue and probably be good for two weeks.

For those buying new though, I'll throw up a review of the new Pioneer Ceramic Big Maxx fountain (also available in stainless steel) vs the current reigning champ Drinkwell Platinum on my youtube page next week when I get a chance.

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

A butterknife helps to pop it open.

I have multiple water fountains at different places in the house, so when one is getting cleaned, they can go to the other two. *shrugs*

Probably overkill, but I figured the more times they walk by a fountain, the more likely they are reminded to take a sip, and since part of their diet is dry food, thought it a worthwhile investment. Wish they had models with UV filters though, as that would eliminate the "slime" issue and probably be good for two weeks.

For those buying new though, I'll throw up a review of the new Pioneer Ceramic Big Maxx fountain (also available in stainless steel) vs the current reigning champ Drinkwell Platinum on my youtube page next week when I get a chance.
Oh, I'm excited for that review! I've been thinking about getting that Pioneer Big Max one for awhile now....

I actually just saw a Petco ceramic fountain this morning (http://www.petco.com/product/112616/...t_catfountains) that I think I like better. I like how the fountain part is in the center. I think I'm gonna get it.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone recall Petco's return policy?

Would be great to have all three side by side. I have an external mic, and was going to try and setup a test rig to compare pump volume at the same distance and location in a closet.

I hate to do returns, but if I dry it off after and its only run briefly without the filter, its good as new for the next customer.

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Anyone recall Petco's return policy?

Would be great to have all three side by side. I have an external mic, and was going to try and setup a test rig to compare pump volume at the same distance and location in a closet.

I hate to do returns, but if I dry it off after and its only run briefly without the filter, its good as new for the next customer.
You have 45 days from the date of purchase for a full refund. After 45 days, it's just store credit. Online orders can be returned to any Petco store.