Cleaning House With Asthmatic Cat

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What cleaning products do people with asthmatic cats use? I try to use natural cleaners such as baking soda and vinegar, but sometimes I feel things don't get clean or sanitized. I live in an apartment so the only option I have to clean the litter box is in the tub. Obviously I need to disinfect the hell out of the tub after, but I don't feel vinegar and baking soda or any homemade cleaners really do the trick. I used natural homemade cleaners even before I got a cat, and I hate strong smells as well, but I feel sometimes a "real" cleaning product is necessary. I NEVER used bleach (Maya goes absolutely bananas when she smells it; it would be impossible to clean anyway!), but is a Clorox wipe here and there when it's really necessary, really bad? What about Method brand? I read that Seventh Generation is one of the better brands, but I HATE it. Every product I've tried irritated my lungs and nose, gave me a headache, etc. and I'm usually not that sensitive. Any suggestions? I'm particularly concerned about an antibacterial cleaner for bathroom and kitchen. Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if this helps, but my Big Fella presses his muzzle/nose right up to the glass of several windows, and he drools a little bit (always has, no dental issues :dunno:) which led me to wonder if all of that is basically getting all over his face, so I'm REALLY paranoid about any chemical residue on the glass.

Many times I'm able to simply use wet paper towels and then dry and polish with a clean flour-sack towel, but every now and then I'm like you and feel that I have to use windex.

I "rinse" the window after using the windex with a wipe-down of plain water. I don't know if that'd work for you, but maybe a possibility?

Megsnan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t care for most of method brand products. They’re just not effective in my opinion. I think Clorox wipes are bleach but I could be mistaken. I LOVE bleach! I think there should be bleach scented candles but it’s not for everybody! Maybe try mixing some alcohol in water with some dish soap. Your kitty might not like that smell either though. You can try cleaning with lemon or eucalyptus oil, I believe they have antibacterial properties.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you said you don't feel natural products really do the trick but I would reconsider those thoughts and alter a couple things.

Vinegar will kill germs and deodorize and if you put lemon juice in it it will cut back some of the smell. ALSO lemons are a natural disinfectant as well as anti-bacterial. I would leave out the baking soda for this type of cleaner.

Keep the baking soda for pots and pans with caked on food or in the laundry to remove grease and dirt stains from clothes.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had good luck with asthmatic cat being OK around vinegar, Murphy's oil soap, and the like.
If you do any serious dusting, put the cat in another room, door shut, do your work, open windows and let things settle before letting him out. If anything (vacuum cleaners, etc.) stirs up dust, keep him away from the area.

Spray bottles here, even with the gentlest cleaners, are a huge no-no with us. Last time we used one and our cat went into an attack and needed a vet ASAP. We were using them regularly, not realizing that our cat was having vet-worthy attacks every 2-8 weeks!! When we stopped using them, he went for 4 months without any attack at all, and only had a mild one a few days ago that he got over with an emergency dose of pred. The attack stopped and he's been fine since (I don't know what caused the one a few days ago, but it was mild at least.)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a steamer for a good amount of my cleaning. I used to use a lot of Lysol products before I realized they were harmful to cats. Now, I save that for the toilet only and we're good at keeping the lid down.

Btw...Clorox wipes do not contain bleach. One of those things that really does seem to be a no-brainer but they don't.:dunno:
Should You Use Clorox Disinfecting Wipes?
I don't know if they contain anything harmful to cats though.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am a bad cat parent. :-(

I do use bleach on one thing. The litter boxes. About once every 2 weeks, once a month - depending on the state of the box. I do deep clean it with bleach and soap. It is rinsed out very, very, very well. That's about the only time I use bleach.

If you have to wash them out in a tub - I would be washing out the tub after with a beach and then rinse really well. I know it's bad for the environment. :-(

What would you all suggest for that kind of deep clean? (Especially if one of the cats is under the weather?)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Again, hydrogen peroxide. And let it dry thoroughly. At that point, it becomes, as I said, water and oxygen.

Bleach is not always the best choice, because some pathogens are VERY specific as to what bleach dilutions are effective. For instance, take (not literally, of course) the HIV virus. The human form. Only ONE SPECIFIC DILUTION of bleach will kill it. You'd think that stronger is better, but not in this case. I want to say that the correct dilution is 1:10, bleach to water, but don't quote me on that one, it's been awhile. If you make the solution too weak or too strong, the virus happily goes on its merry little disgusting way.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're deep cleaning here this weekend..or starting to as it's a verrry long process (I'm currently hiding in the den pretending to be changing light bulbs, LOL).

We ordered a little hand held steamer, and I really like it. But the cats don't, that hissing noise it makes sent them skyward so we're keeping cats out of the rooms we're working in.

I know it's not the best but I've used Bom Ami on tubs, showers, etc. along with bleach before. I hate bleach and the smell gets me high in a bad way. :ohwell:
I still prefer plain old vinegar, it dries fast, has very little odor (no "scent" or "perfume" stuff) and just makes things like floors and counter tops "Feel" clean.
We like a disinfectant that I can't recall the name of (I'll try to find out) but it is NOT cat safe and is only used in rooms that are off limits to the cats when needed.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, hydrogen peroxide. And let it dry thoroughly. At that point, it becomes, as I said, water and oxygen.
Thanks, Mamany1953 I would never have thought of this for a deep cleaning. Light cleaning sure, cat scratches, sure. Litterbox - never would have crossed the remotest areas of my mind.

Bleach is not always the best choice, because some pathogens are VERY specific as to what bleach dilutions are effective. For instance, take (not literally, of course) the HIV virus. The human form. Only ONE SPECIFIC DILUTION of bleach will kill it. You'd think that stronger is better, but not in this case. I want to say that the correct dilution is 1:10, bleach to water, but don't quote me on that one, it's been awhile. If you make the solution too weak or too strong, the virus happily goes on its merry little disgusting way.
We really are brainwashed in some aspects aren't we? Bleach has always been in my head as the only thing to use for things like litters.

Time to get reprogrammed - or deprogrammed really.

I won't quote you. My niece who is going after a PHD in chemistry asked me why I cleaned it in bleach not 2 months ago. It was asked in a surprised way. I told her to kill bacteria etc. She was quiet. Now I need to ask her why she asked and prod her brain. I wish I had at the time now.

We're deep cleaning here this weekend..or starting to as it's a verrry long process (I'm currently hiding in the den pretending to be changing light bulbs, LOL).
:flail:

We ordered a little hand held steamer, and I really like it. But the cats don't, that hissing noise it makes sent them skyward so we're keeping cats out of the rooms we're working in.
I love steamers. You touch something after it dries and it does feel clean. It takes patience though.

I know it's not the best but I've used Bom Ami on tubs, showers, etc. along with bleach before. I hate bleach and the smell gets me high in a bad way. :ohwell:
I still prefer plain old vinegar, it dries fast, has very little odor (no "scent" or "perfume" stuff) and just makes things like floors and counter tops "Feel" clean.
I love vinegar. Any odor goes away fast too.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also if you have hard wood or tile or vinyl a dust mop is a REALLY good tool to have with an asthmatic cat, it stirs up little dust and if ran every day keeps the dust down and the need to mop often (in most rooms, kitchens and baths excluded) diminishes.
For light dusting (not really "cleaning", just a quick dust) we just use a soft cloth dampened with water. It works.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI for anyone who doesn't know - I have an asthmatic cat as well. :-)

I always think - when in doubt - go to someone smarter than yourself. So I did.

@Mamany1953 first of all I want to thank you. Today because of you - I became a little smarter!

I asked my niece. For deep clean - she said Bleach. Here's why - for what we are using it for it's the best method but that it should be rinsed incredibly well to get rid of residue. For things like litter boxes, flu etc she would follow the instructions but stronger is a better. I asked her why she appeared concerned when she saw me using it. She explained at the time she was shocked as I was doing some cat dishes - which - she is right - I was. She said then she saw me rinse them, soak them in water and rinse them again and she was fine. She was concerned about any residue but the way I do it she knew there was no need for it so she didn't say anything. For regular cleaning of kitty dishes soap and water. If there are infections with them - bleach and do what I did. For deep cleaning kitchens and bathrooms and litter boxes or URI etc - she said she would unfortunately use bleach. For regular cleaning she wouldn't. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 she said you are absolutely correct about specific viruses but for the most part we would be getting hospital type cleaners for those. I even got a lesson in toxic substances in the body and bleach - was kinda cool!

I asked about the Asthma and she said - logically - don't have the cat in the room and rinse, rinse, rinse.

I asked about peroxide and I kinda was a little shocked by the answer. She said no - it does nothing. So I asked the next logical question "Why do we have it around and use it for minor scrapes etc." Her response "I wouldn't". Me "huh?". She said exactly what you said - water. Essentially you'd be cleaning with water. While it does have a few other things in it to help - it doesn't do much. So I asked why I was told to keep it around for the cats and she said it would help a little for minor cuts and to quickly clean the cut and wouldn't harm the cats but not to bath them in it lol.

We took the conversation one step further and I asked about Baking Soda and vinegar. She agreed they cancel each other out when mixed ahead of time. The trick is to coat something with the baking soda, let it sit, (don't use it on a coated surface or anything that will scratch), the dump a boatload of vinegar on it after. You want double the vinegar at that stage.

So that is my science lesson for today. It helped me, I hope it helps other too.

What I took from the conversation was this: for most stuff, water, or water and vinegar, water and soap. For deep cleaning - litters and flu/URI - bleach. Then rinse, rinse, rinse.

In dealing with our poor asthmatic cats. Things like the steam, damp wiping floors etc for dust, (as 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 and RajaNMizu RajaNMizu Furballsmom Furballsmom were saying) windows and glass the vinegar and water, (as jen jen said) baking soda and vinegar in some cases as she described - and deep cleaning, bleach. Then rinse, rinse, rinse.

PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws thank you for including the article about mixing. People forget how important it is to know the chemical. XO I have a ill kitty inside because someone sadly mixed.

Megsnan Megsnan I forgot to ask about the alcohol. I will next time I talk to her because that sounds like it might not be too bad.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F FeralHearts very interesting information! I had no idea.

I still feel that one of the biggest triggers for our asthmatic guy is spray bottles. It's like when you pull that little trigger, whatever is in that bottle takes to the air.
If I'm working with a spray bottle for whatever reason and spray a few times and am around it, I feel like coughing. Sometimes I do (I just want attention :blush:) but if you pay close attention, you "feel" it in your lungs.
I am not asthmatic and can't really be sure.
(Litter dust is a biggie too. The poor guy was crapping near the box and peeing next to it. I was irritated by this, but he hadn't been diagnosed with asthma yet and we were using a dusty litter with a lid. I think he went inside the box, was choked out and thought "I'll go RIGHT beside it, but I just can't tolerate being in that box...."
...kind of like how a good dog will take a huge crap right by the door if they can't hold it. They know where to go and give it their best aim.)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F FeralHearts very interesting information! I had no idea.
Me either. I'm still stunned. I was really expecting different answers.

I still feel that one of the biggest triggers for our asthmatic guy is spray bottles. It's like when you pull that little trigger, whatever is in that bottle takes to the air.
If I'm working with a spray bottle for whatever reason and spray a few times and am around it, I feel like coughing. Sometimes I do (I just want attention :blush:) but if you pay close attention, you "feel" it in your lungs.
That makes sense really as you would take a little bit into your lungs - even if it was just water it could irritate for a moment or two.

LOL @ want attention.

(Litter dust is a biggie too. The poor guy was crapping near the box and peeing next to it. I was irritated by this, but he hadn't been diagnosed with asthma yet and we were using a dusty litter with a lid. I think he went inside the box, was choked out and thought "I'll go RIGHT beside it, but I just can't tolerate being in that box...."
...kind of like how a good dog will take a huge crap right by the door if they can't hold it. They know where to go and give it their best aim.)
Litter I think it a biggie as well. I'm in the process of exploring options for Charlie as I think it's an issue.

LOL @ give it their best aim.

For Asthma - I took away all the air fresheners in the house too. I miss the nice smeel but something tells me they are not good for the cats - or people.

I think I'm going to try missing water and lemon or water, vinegar and some lemon as jen jen was saying. Lemon does for sure have some cleaning properties to it and the bonus smells very nice! Win win!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mayabear mayabear I used to use an antibacterial soap to wash the cats dishes. I stopped once I learned that most of them, if not all, are carcinogenic. They contain chloroform a known cancer causing agent.

Last edited: