Cleaning house after worm infection??

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted a feral kitten several months ago. We took him to the vet before bringing him home and he was treated with dewormer. Fast forward to a few weeks ago we noticed the kitten had diarrhea so we took him to the vet where they ran a fecal test for parasites but it came back negative. Fast forward to today...while he was being neutered the vet noticed that he has tapeworms!! Arrggh....wondering how long he's had the worms?! I never noticed them on his rear or in his poop, though it can be hard to tell because it's always coated in litter.

Anyway, it's been quite a while since we've had a cat with worms so wondering what we need to do cleaning-wise?? Our other 3 cats are going to get treated as well. Planning on cleaning out all the litter boxes, washing their bedding as well as human bedding, replacing our couch slipcovers (thank goodness they're washable!), cleaning the rugs...anything else? One article I read seemed a little overkill with all the cleaning but IDK. Any tips?? Any chance that the humans in the house have gotten infected? Again, I have no idea how long he's had these and he's been EVERYWHERE as well as on people.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tapeworms don't always show up in fecal samples.
For cats to get tapeworms they have to swallow a flea who had previously ingested a tapeworm egg

Tapeworms are treated with a specific dewormer called Praziquantel. Regular dewormer does not treat tapeworms.
Do you know what deworming medicine he had when you first got him?

To Prevent tapeworm infestation flea prevention is key. Fleas can hitch a ride on you from outside. So even indoor only cats can get fleas then inturn get tapeworms

Vacuum all surfaces clean bedding and any and all furniture upholstery.

You would see little sesame seed looking segments (eggs) if he had gotten to that stage where they were exiting his behind.. they would at that time come out and dry up they do nothing without a host which is the flea..

Don't forget to look in cat beds and trees for tapeworm eggs to vacuum those up as well if there are any.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tapeworms don't always show up in fecal samples.
For cats to get tapeworms they have to swallow a flea who had previously ingested a tapeworm egg

[/URL]

[/URL]

Tapeworms are treated with a specific dewormer called Praziquantel. Regular dewormer does not treat tapeworms.
Do you know what deworming medicine he had when you first got him?

To Prevent tapeworm infestation flea prevention is key. Fleas can hitch a ride on you from outside. So even indoor only cats can get fleas then inturn get tapeworms

Vacuum all surfaces clean bedding and any and all furniture upholstery.

You would see little sesame seed looking segments (eggs) if he had gotten to that stage where they were exiting his behind.. they would at that time come out and dry up they do nothing without a host which is the flea..

Don't forget to look in cat beds and trees for tapeworm eggs to vacuum those up as well if there are any.
Thank you so much for the info! We got some Praziquantel for all the cats from the vet today. Working on the cleaning process now. Definitely saw the dried-up worm segments looking at the kitten's bedding today. I may not have seen them on his behind because he has white fur and we also have a lot of light-colored surfaces. Not sure how he got them in the first place because we haven't had a flea problem as far as I know, so wondering if he's had them since we got him back in May. I don't know which dewormer he was given when we got him, I know it was given in 2 doses 3 weeks apart.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While it is more common for cats to contract tapeworms from ingesting an infected flea sometimes the culprit is an infected fly

In this article if you scroll down to the worms section tapeworms are one worm flies can transmit to cats..

So it is possibly your kitty ingested a fly and not a flea. Also it takes about 3 weeks after ingesting an infected host for symptoms to start to appear.

So even if say you miss a couple of the segments somewhere the cats won't get tapeworms even if they ate them because the eggs have to be in a host first. Even if say one of your cats were grooming the infected kitty and licked the tapeworm segments they won't become infected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While it is more common for cats to contract tapeworms from ingesting an infected flea sometimes the culprit is an infected fly

[/URL]

In this article if you scroll down to the worms section tapeworms are one worm flies can transmit to cats..

So it is possibly your kitty ingested a fly and not a flea. Also it takes about 3 weeks after ingesting an infected host for symptoms to start to appear.

So even if say you miss a couple of the segments somewhere the cats won't get tapeworms even if they ate them because the eggs have to be in a host first. Even if say one of your cats were grooming the infected kitty and licked the tapeworm segments they won't become infected.
Ah, that would make sense! Our cats love chasing flies so I could totally see that being the culprit.

That's great to know about the other cats - there would be a lot to clean in our house...

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, that would make sense! Our cats love chasing flies so I could totally see that being the culprit.

That's great to know about the other cats - there would be a lot to clean in our house...
I'm glad I could put your mind at ease some. I would just check the other cats behinds periodically and if you see signs that they have them then deworm them. I wouldn't worry about treating them unless you see signs they have them.. I literally seen the segments on my cats behind gave her half a pill and later that same day they were gone (no more came out) never to be seen again. Also after the medicine kills them you won't see them expelled in their poop because they are digested.

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our vet told us that the cycle for tapeworms is about three months. They also highly recommend treating for worms multiple times, to ensure everything is killed off.

We are in a similar situation - no fleas, but a kitkat who was treated about three months ago. Then suddenly overnight lots and lots of worms in her stool. Very disconcerting for someone who is new to the experience!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet told us that the cycle for tapeworms is about three months. They also highly recommend treating for worms multiple times, to ensure everything is killed off.

We are in a similar situation - no fleas, but a kitkat who was treated about three months ago. Then suddenly overnight lots and lots of worms in her stool. Very disconcerting for someone who is new to the experience!

The cycle of tapeworms are 14 to 21 days after this time period you can start to see signs of a tapeworm infestation.