Cleaning Ears

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Willow the Tortie seems to have dark spots like freckles inside the skin part of her ears. I haven't rubbed hard but they seem permanent. Is that normal? She was at the vet last week for vaccines and he did a quick look inside her ears without saying anything about them being dirty or infected. I didn't notice the spots so I didn't say anything.

Beyond that, her ears seem pretty gunky down in the ear holes. She's also been really mellow lately and sleeps most of the day. I'm going to try cleaning them out a bit myself. I have dog ear cleaner here but I'm not sure if it works for cats. I've seen a lot of YT videos on wiping out their ears but they usually recommend a number of different things to use on the cotton. I don't know which is best or if you guys have any tips.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest getting your cat on Revolution Plus if you have it available where you live. It's a flea/tick medication but also for ear mites. Boone and Gracie are the first cats I have had that use this and their ears are spotless. Never had a cat with such clean ears.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. ^
My dog uses Revolution but I hadn't thought of it for my cats since they don't go outside.
I'll ask my vet.

In the meantime my daughter said the "freckles" in Willow's ears are normal and they were always there. Huh. Weird that I never noticed before. She doesn't think they look gunky either, based on the fact they were gunky about a year ago and she cleaned them then. (Willow is technically her cat.)

My other cats are what I'd call "spotless" but Willow's always had a bit of an issue.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would caution you on using ear medicine that is made for dogs and dosen't mention if it's for cats. Cats are sensitive. If it doesn't specifically say "for cats", I avoid using it just to be on the safe side (this includes shampoos and coat products).
Sarah has always had ears with weird spots on them. It's pigment but looks like dirt. I agree with klunick klunick on looking into Revolution. I don't know for sure, but with some flea products it can take more than one application to clear up and issue with fleas so ears might be the same.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo has a chronic condition with his ears, constantly shaking his head and scratching his ears. The vet recommended a cleaning solution that the vets sell, so I bought that. He hates me putting it in his ears of course, but it does help.

If your cat isn't shaking his head or scratching his eats, I doubt if you need a medical remedy.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would caution you on using ear medicine that is made for dogs and dosen't mention if it's for cats. Cats are sensitive. If it doesn't specifically say "for cats", I avoid using it just to be on the safe side (this includes shampoos and coat products).
Sarah has always had ears with weird spots on them. It's pigment but looks like dirt. I agree with klunick klunick on looking into Revolution. I don't know for sure, but with some flea products it can take more than one application to clear up and issue with fleas so ears might be the same.
Never said it was a cure. Just stating that with all the other medications, it could be a lower cost option to help with current issue and prevent future ones.

Also, they have Revolution Plus for cats, not just dogs.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Never said it was a cure. Just stating that with all the other medications, it could be a lower cost option to help with current issue and prevent future ones.

Also, they have Revolution Plus for cats, not just dogs.
Absolutely agree with you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn't have any signs of mites. No ear shaking or pawing at her ears, etc. The vet who did her vaccines checked her fur for fleas and said she didn't have fleas. He also looked in her ears and didn't say anything about her ears. They just look a little more wet (? goopy?) deep down inside than the other cats.

We can't get Revolution without a vet appointment, exam fee, dispensing fee etc. which would be several hundred bucks. That's kind of a shame considering I just had her at the vet for vaccines and a wellness check, but I have to take my dog for a Rabies vax this week so I'll ask them when I'm there. Actually my dog needs his yearly box of Revolution too.

Maybe there's a cheaper way around all the fees for my cat.

Thanks again everyone.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some vets will waive that re-exam fee if you've had your cat to them within a reasonable amount of time. It never hurts to ask. :)