Cleaning Cats Eye Goo.

BluPersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the best way to approach daily face cleaning? I got some tear stain remover, but he hates when I use it. His eyes seem to tear REALLY bad. I read that this was kind of normal in Persians? One eye seems to tear worse than the other, and he has eye goo every day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluPersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. I haven't. I'll have to look that up.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not on the eye though! It's powder to put in the food or treats. It really has helped my cat with his runny eyes.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Both our former vet who retired and our present vet told me to use warm water on a cotton pad, (not a cotton ball), the kind you use to take off make up. It works well for our Persian boy. :creampersian:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lysine may work if the tears are caused by herpes, by stopping the replication of the virus. If the staining is really bad you could try Eye Envy (refrigerated kind is what I would suggest). This is available on line or at dog shows, usually. I have never found it at cat shows. I use warm water on a make up pad, but for the shows I use contact lens solution without preservatives. Never in the eyes - just on the stain. Some Persian breeders I know believe there is a food link to the staining, but I have never found it to be true. Depending on the cat, tearing may just be a fact of life. I have some fairly extreme cats that never tear and some less extreme ones that do - just depends on the cat, not the nose length.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluPersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lysine may work if the tears are caused by herpes, by stopping the replication of the virus. If the staining is really bad you could try Eye Envy (refrigerated kind is what I would suggest). This is available on line or at dog shows, usually. I have never found it at cat shows. I use warm water on a make up pad, but for the shows I use contact lens solution without preservatives. Never in the eyes - just on the stain. Some Persian breeders I know believe there is a food link to the staining, but I have never found it to be true. Depending on the cat, tearing may just be a fact of life. I have some fairly extreme cats that never tear and some less extreme ones that do - just depends on the cat, not the nose length.
Thank you! He has like no nose. Its almost inverted on his face. LOL. I didn't know if that was the reason or not. When I got him he ate bench and field holistic. I just switched him to Fromm grain free gamebird. I'm going to see about some of the tear stain remover you talked about. I dont think the one I have works very well.

I'm so glad to be able to talk to other Persian owners. Thank you.