Cleaning cat ears

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Timothy takes his hyper thyroid meds via a cream on his ear. Transdermal med. I'm noticing the inside of his ear is getting a little crusty. What's the best way to clean that? He's pretty skittish so I have to be sneaky about it, so any tips on that front are appreciated, too. Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use make up pad removers, but just about anything similar can be used. All I do is wet them with warm water, and then wipe her inner ear with them, while kind of securing her head. I let her know I am going to do it, but usually sit behind her for ease of access. But, then Feeby is pretty obliging to a lot of things. The more often you do it, the less time needed. Ideally, it should be done after each application, but I do stretch Feeby's to after every two applications.

If you have waited to do it to the point that gunk has collected, you might have to wipe longer, or just do it every day for a while to help get all the stuff off over a few times.

Some people use witch hazel as a cleaner, but I decided it wasn't necessary to have anything but water.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'll have to ask the vet what won't react with the medication if using anything aside from water.

I also used makeup pads. My hyperthyroid cat had a lot of build up of wax from chronic infections.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I use make up pad removers, but just about anything similar can be used. All I do is wet them with warm water, and then wipe her inner ear with them
Ditto! I used cotton rounds, not cotton balls, with warm water. It's important to wait at least eight hours before cleaning the ear. You should never apply the transdermal gel to an ear that is not clean and dry. Are you using a finger cot or glove when applying the gel? Otherwise it can be absorbed into your own system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ditto! I used cotton rounds, not cotton balls, with warm water. It's important to wait at least eight hours before cleaning the ear. You should never apply the transdermal gel to an ear that is not clean and dry. Are you using a finger cot or glove when applying the gel? Otherwise it can be absorbed into your own system.
Yes, I use a finger cot. I went out bought some cotton rounds. It’s not enough to dry the ear with a Kleenex?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I rotate ears for the Mirataz. I use either a stretched out cotton ball or a makeup round. I use warm water, squeeze it out, so it is dampish. I also use another make up round to dry after cleaning. If there is a
buildup, or scratches, I will put a thin layer of Aquaphor ointment (vaseline) on the ear.

I rotate ears, daily. I used to be very vigilant about daily cleaning, but I have gotten lazy. I do it every 2-3 days.

Geoffrey is a sweetie when it comes to doing things for him.. except cutting his claws or cleaning his bum!!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ditto for makeup pads or even just a Kleenex folded into a triangle - warm water. Make sure you aren’t shoving it down into her ear drum. If I ask- (Ear sies?) my cat will come right up. I’m sure it feels good. Usually do it after a brush.

ProMeower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our process is to use moist tissue or TP, and then wait for ears to dry, a good 10 minutes or so, before applying mirtazapine in one and methimazole in the other.

We did try a moistened square of gauze once - my hope was to clean it better so that absorption would be good - and she did not like that. I worry that the gel won't absorb well unless the ears are clean so at least one ear is cleaned every 12h 🤷🏽