Clay Litter Or Pellet Litter?

mitty009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
which one do you use the most in general?

clay is not good for male cats, pellet is... most cats don like it. is this true?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
clumping cat litter - we only use dr elsey's ultra precious cat. best cat litter we've ever used.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a male cat and I use clumping litter. I get the 40 pound boxes for $10- Special Kitty from Walmart, Berkley & Jensen from BJ's, and Paws & Claws from Tractor Supply.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worry with clay is that cats often lick it off of their paws and it can be toxic. But, really, all litter materials, even the ones made of wood or corn can be toxic too. I'm pretty sure they spray those "natural" ones with chemicals to make them clump. Just try to find a litter that has the least amount of chemicals in it and that clumps. I use okocat wood clumping litter in pellet-form.

I like pellets better than smaller pieces because they don't track as much and for kittens and male cats they are safer because they are less likely to cause a blockage. There are different kinds of pellets you can get though, there are wood ones and newspaper ones. I prefer the wood. If you can, I would also recommend clumping because then you can monitor the size of your cat's pee which can be important for knowing when they might have a urinary disease.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also use Dr. Elsey's. Clumps very well, almost no dust, easy to clean. I tried to get my cat to use the pellets that come with the TidyCats "Breeze" system, but she wouldn't have anything to do with them. :tabbycat:

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use clay at home and pellets at the shelter. Clay is less time consuming to scoop and typically locks in odors better. Pellets are a lot cheaper if you purchase them in bulk from a place that sells them for wood stoves. Most cats will get used to pellets with time if that's what you decide to use, even if they give it the side-eye initially. Basically there are positives and negatives to either one, and your cat will be fine no matter which you decide works best for your household. :)