Claw trimming(front claws)

catdaddy38

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else try to trim their cat's nails by themselves? My cat seems fine when I do the back but once I start with the front she starts to meow and bite(maybe it's because it's easier for her to reach). Any suggestions on how to keep her calm so I can get her nails done?

If she gets too stressed(or I end up bleeding) I will let her be done for the day and try again the next day. I always let her smell the nail trimmer and when it's not near her paws she will rub her face on it and purr but the second it gets near her front paws, it's a different story. At first, I thought it was because maybe I was preparing to cut them too short and she could feel me pressing against the quick, but she does this when it's just the tip of the nail too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdaddy38

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's how she is with the back. She couldn't care less...snip snip and it's done. She just HATES her front claws getting trimmed. I think it might make her feel defenseless because her main go-to when play fighting or defending herself is a firm swat with her front paws, and nails out. Which is why it's important that I keep them trimmed. My mother is elderly(and has cancer) and I don't want Dax to hurt her accidentally. Dax never means to harm, she just doesn't realize how dagger-like her claws can get.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I either have a friend do it or pay minimum $15. Even getting one clipped a day will help. Always do it after her meal when she is napping

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else try to trim their cat's nails by themselves? My cat seems fine when I do the back but once I start with the front she starts to meow and bite(maybe it's because it's easier for her to reach). Any suggestions on how to keep her calm so I can get her nails done?

If she gets too stressed(or I end up bleeding) I will let her be done for the day and try again the next day. I always let her smell the nail trimmer and when it's not near her paws she will rub her face on it and purr but the second it gets near her front paws, it's a different story. At first, I thought it was because maybe I was preparing to cut them too short and she could feel me pressing against the quick, but she does this when it's just the tip of the nail too.
I've always trimmed my cats' claws myself, without injury. I generally only try for one paw at a time, and I seldom worry about the claws on her back paws.

I have a small Swiss Army Knife that has nail clippers on it, like this one: Victorinox Nail Clip 580 Swiss Army Knife at Swiss Knife Shop The clipper blades have less of a curve than standard nail clippers, which makes them ideal for claw clipping. Additionally, I can cradle the body of the knife in the crook of my fingers and just use my thumb to operate the clippers. This makes it less likely that I'll drop the clippers while dealing with the cat.

So, left hand holds the paw and presses a toe bean to make the claw extend. Right hand uses the clippers, holding them so that they're sideways to the curve of the claw – that makes it easier to cut and avoids the claw splintering. Make sure I'm outside the quick, than fast, hard pressure on the clippers and the tip of the claw zings off in some random direction.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've always done my cat's claws myself using a fear-free method.

At first i get them used to me doing a claw or two while they are resting.

When I begin pulling them to my lap to do it, it's still only to do one or two at a time and then giving a REALLY high reward treat. You build up to doing everything at once.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always trimmed my cats' claws myself, without injury. I generally only try for one paw at a time, and I seldom worry about the claws on her back paws.

I have a small Swiss Army Knife that has nail clippers on it, like this one: Victorinox Nail Clip 580 Swiss Army Knife at Swiss Knife Shop The clipper blades have less of a curve than standard nail clippers, which makes them ideal for claw clipping. Additionally, I can cradle the body of the knife in the crook of my fingers and just use my thumb to operate the clippers. This makes it less likely that I'll drop the clippers while dealing with the cat.

So, left hand holds the paw and presses a toe bean to make the claw extend. Right hand uses the clippers, holding them so that they're sideways to the curve of the claw – that makes it easier to cut and avoids the claw splintering. Make sure I'm outside the quick, than fast, hard pressure on the clippers and the tip of the claw zings off in some random direction.
Wish my cat was even remotely possible. Every time I try to cut she licks my finger! So I have my mom come over