Claw regrowth after declaw

jessteroni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to start this post off saying that I do NOT agree with declawing cats. If I had it my way, this wouldn’t be an issue. Unfortunately I had no say in the matter, thus this issue has happened.

I’ve noticed on one of Nuggets toes he has some claw regrowth. When I touch it he freaks out, yowls and bites me, so obviously it’s hurting/bothering him. As of now it’s only 1 toe but he doesn’t care for his other toes to be touched, he doesn’t react the same, just pulls them away.

I’m also wondering if this is part of the reason he’s having accidents around the house.

I’ve got no experience with this so any advice would be great.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat is in pain and needs to be examined by a vet. Preferably not the one that botched the declawing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is something called a de-claw salvage surgery, and some vets specialize in it. They do something with the tendons and bone re-growth and all that so the cat can function (almost) normally. So if the local vets won't take you seriously, you could maybe google that and see if there are any specialty vets you could go to.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
No one is blaming you for the declawing....as you said, it is a done deal. All I can add is that if Nugget is in enough pain, which it sounds as if he is, he may be urinating in various places because he associates the pain in his feet with urinating. So he moves on. Declawed cats are very sensitive to litter, so if he associate pain with the litter box, he does not plan to use it, poor baby.

What's the Best Litter for Declawed Cats? | PetMD
6 Best Cat Litters for Declawed Cats 2021 - Reviews & Top Picks - Excited Cats

A change in litter might help, but it does not change the fact that he is in pain and that something is awry, as if the declawing weren't enough, with his toe.....so look for a sympathetic vet who might be able to help as was suggested.